[Imc] globalization series

Sarah Kanouse skanouse at usa.net
Tue Feb 13 16:16:52 UTC 2001

Possible interesting raw material for the IMC archives if anyone wants to
record.

--SK

From Paul Mueth--
all for some "from below" folks

 I wish I could attend and contend with the clearly corporate approach that's
going to go down ..

The first speaker, local prof, includes in the readings for, I believe, a 300
level class, stuff from Sam-maddog Huntington (clash of civilizations) and Tom
-pitbull for corporate globalism- Friedman

Looking further dowwn the list, I hope I'm wrong in my expectations

   ACDIS  Arms Control, Disarmament, and
   International Security

   EUC The European Union Center
   at the University of Illinois at
   Urbana-Champaign

   Globalization A Seminar

   Series for Spring Semester 2001

   We hear the word "globalization" voiced
   daily in the media and in our conversations with
   colleagues, friends, and family. But what is it? In
   what ways does it affect our lives? And why should we
   care? These are big questions for which there is no
   definitive or satisfactory response
   possible in a brief presentation. This series of
   discussions on globalization for spring 2001 seeks to
   inspire creative thoughts on these
   problems. All members of the University community are
   invited to share their views with speakers informed
   about key dimensions of the
   globalization process.

   14 February Globalization: The Search for Order,
   Welfare, and Legitimacy
   Edward A. Kolodziej, Research Professor of Political
   Science

   21 February Gender and Globalization: Risks and Rights

   Gale Summerfield, Director, Women and Gender in Global
   Perspectives

   28 February WTO, Oil, and Diamonds: Finally a New
   World Order?
   Cliff Singer, Director, ACDIS, and UI Professor of
   Nuclear Engineering

   7 March The Transformation of National Currencies
   Larry Neal, Director, European Union Center

   21 March Controlling Mass Destructive Weapons
   Joan Rohlfing, UI Ph.D. and Senior Vice President for
   Programs and Operations,the Nuclear Threat Initiative,
   Washington DC

   28 March Peacekeeping and Peacemaking as a Global
   Problem
   Paul Diehl, Professor of Political Science and
   University Distinguished Teacher

   4 April The Media and Globalization
   Ron Yates, Head, Department of Journalism at the
   University of Illinois

   11 April Democracy in Global Perspective: Achievements
   and Lingering Problems
   Gerardo Munck, Professor of Political Science

   18 April Challenges of Planning in a Growing World
   Kiernan Donaghy, Professor of Urban and Regional
   Planning

   Wednesdays, 4:00 PM
   Arthur B. Chilton Conference Room