[Imc] Open House Planning

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 14 03:42:12 UTC 2001

Zach,
Here's what I can do, added into the message below.

I would suggest that others jump in and volunteer to help now, so that
this will be a successful event. We must put our best foot forward
Friday night.

I will also be finishing up the trim in the media production center
tomorrow; it'll need to be painted. The door hardware was done today--
Show up at the meeting tomorrow if you want to learn the secret code to
access the inner realm.

Many folks pitched in to do a great job of organizing the space this
afternoon. It looks great! There are still may loose ends to work on,
but I think we have the makings of a very succesful introduction for the
IMC. Dave W. at WEFT just did a great job of reading the promo that
Nancy did, Danielle did a great interview on News From Neptune this
morning and we've had a good response to the donation campaign, so I
believe the community has high expectations of what the IMC will be---
Let's meet them.
Mike

"Zachary C.Miller" wrote:

> Brian and I were the only people who really showed up for the bulk of
> the Open House planning meeting at 4pm today. So we made some plans
> but there is no way at all that we are going to be able to cary these
> plans out ourselves.
>
> Here are my notes, please read these over and let me know what you can
> help with.
>
> There are three sections here: things that we want to happen, things we have
> to do this week, and things that we need to do on the friday.
>
> Things that we want to happen
>
> Paul Kottheimer to play some political type tunes.
> Newspoets to perform.
> Posters of IMC news stories around the space for people to read.
> Listening stations around the space for people to listen to radio programs.
> TV/VCR's around the space for people to view IMC videos.
> Food to be served.
> Donation boxes around the space and Merchandise available for sale.
> Web site demo.
> IMC info handouts available.
> Artwork and decoration and lights around the space.
> One or more speakers such as Robert McChesney
>
> Things that we have to do this week:
>
> Contact the newspoets - I will do this.
> Pick stories for the posters and print them on a poster printer.

I suggest that folks be responsible for making sure anything they want
put up, even if old stuff, be posted to the website. Then a crew of
folks can go through them and cut, paste, and print into posters. I am
not good at graphics stuff, but this may works for the graphically
challenged like me. If people want to do their own that's great, but
this is a quick way to have a real cross-section of our work, both on
the website and for the opening.

> Make food.
> Acquire dishes and utensils from Goodwill and Salvation Army and such.
> Build a drain board for the back sink for dish washing.

I will build a drain board by taking measurements tomorrow and doing it
Monday.

> Acquire general groceries including drinks and dish washing supplies.
> Create friendly donation boxes.

A wooden (dare I use this tired term?) lockbox attached to the wall-
where?
Or something temporary and portable? Let's decide at the meeting
tomorrow and I can build it with the drainboard.

> Create T-shirts and stickers (and anything else we have the capability for).
> Edit together at least 2 long videos that we can leave running all night.
> Configure a computer to act as a website demo.
> Make some handouts/flyers for IMC.
> Acquire artwork and other decorations including xmas lights and candles.
> Contact Robert McChesney.
> Make sure there is a blurb in the Octopus about the open house.
> Acquire lots of chairs and tables.

Maiko's table is coming as soon as we get a crew to get it out of her
basement. I have two more, smaller (plastic) tables that can be brought
in, along with a couple of more chairs. Severale folks have mentioned
bringing in personal chairs.