[Imc] Re:Powell

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 23 21:07:40 UTC 2001

Michael Powell is a so-called "Free Marketeer," unless of course that means
opening up the FM band for low-power FM stations, in which case he's a
protectionist.  As might be expected he's a broadcast industry tool who
believes in deregulation--but, of course, reducing the restrictions on new
FM stations doesn't seem to qualify as "deregulation" in his book.

  There were some questions when the FCC approved the Time-Warner/AOL deal,
since his General Daddy owns millions in AOL stock.  Many thought he should
have excused himself from that decision, due to an obvious conflict of
interest, but since the FCC's own policies weren't clear on this, he
declared that he could be sufficiently objective (and made his Daddy some
more money).

He is actually a Clinton appointee to the FCC. The FCC is required to be
bi-partisan (not tri-partisan or quad-partisan, mind you) and so a Dem Prez
has to appoint some Republicans, and vice-versa.  Appointees have to be
approved by Congress, but not any particular positions, like chair, as long
as the appointee is already on the commission.

--Paul