[Imc] IMC Organization -- continued discussion

Paul Kotheimer herringb at prairienet.org
Wed Jan 24 21:33:34 UTC 2001

hi all

i'm finding myself at a loss for the text of Paul R's proposal.  is it
on the bulletin board at the IMC, and i just can't find it, or what?

in lieu of that, i wanted to state for the record:

+++++++++++++++++++STRATEGIES AND PRINCIPLES++++++++++++++++

**My strategy last Sunday was to ask tough, fundamental questions, so as
to illicit concerns.  I haven't really voiced any concerns which I
personally hold...YET.

>>now, though, THE FOLLOWING TWO PRINCIPLES
MIGHT CONSTITUTE "CONCERNS ABOUT THE PROPOSAL"

**I want to point out that good, composed, consensus decisions, made with
certainty, take TIME and DELIBERATION; and also, that we ARE this
organization, and should not create decision-making deadlines we don't
need.

**What I've begun to learn by studying consensus under the expert
practitioners in this group--kudos to you all--is that consensus is both
DISCOVERED and BUILT.  Also, to reiterate something I said on Sunday, I
assert that, without coercion [which we KNOW we DON'T want], consensus is
REAL: that is to say, that individual participants have the choice and the
power to support or to oppose any decision by means of the committment or
refusal of their donated time, resources, and funding.

and since we need every drop of energy, every minute of spare time, and
every nickel this community has to committ to our cause, we CANNOT afford
to lose supporters by alienating their voices, their concerns, their
desires.

*********************************

WITH THIS IN MIND, but [unfortunately] without the text of last Sunday's
proposal in front of me, I want to propose a couple of revisions or
re-envisionings:

[THE FOLLOWING THREE SECTIONS (labeled "++")
CONSTITUTE PROPOSALS TO OUR CONSENSUS GROUP:]

++I. That the labels and ovals on the "Boolean Chart" which depicts our
structure be modified some:
	1. To include "THE COMMUNITY we serve."
	2. To rename the "Steering Committe."  I propose "CONSENSUS
		BUILDING TEAM"
	3. To show that the "Working Groups" are interconnected
		and that the "CONSENSUS BUILDING TEAM" includes more that
		just a sliver of each "Working Group."

[i assert, by the way, that these renamings are re-diagrammings are not
just cosmetic.  they express the PRINCIPLES of which i hope we are all
thinking.]

++II.  That each working group be given AUTONOMY as to how it decides how
to send an "empowered spoke[-sperson]" to the Consensus Building Team.
It seems like right now, we have a "federalist" structure, whereby the
terms of that committment are unified and centralized.  i'd rather see a
"States' Rights" kind of structure, whereby each working group can decide
who its "empowered spoke" will be, on its own terms.

++III. That the clause which gives the "Steering Committee" the option to
make decisions, under such-and-such circumstances, on a "CLOSED CONSENSUS"
basis, with a three-meeting deadline, etc., be either STRUCK or else
CHARACTERIZED as an admission of defeat.  This proposal grows out of my
PRINCIPLE that the "steering committee" is better conceived of as a
"CONSENSUS BUILDING TEAM."  if the job of these Consensus Builders is to
discover what we all agree on and BUILD consensus by that discovery
process, then using this "SPECIAL POWER" to cobble together an "INSIDERS'
CONSENSUS" constitutes a failure of broader consensus.

[this is a little vague, but i hope my point is coming across...  if
someone sees my point, and can help me reword this proposal, i'd
appreciate it wholeheartedly.]

**********

finally, just to get back to PRINCIPLES, i want to stress that i consider
it a principle that "BECAUSE WE'RE SICK OF TALKING ABOUT THIS AND WE NEED
TO MOVE ON" is absolutely **NOT** a viable reason to try and make a
decision or "force" consensus by means of a deadline.  "Forced consensus"
is the vilest oxymoronic LIE i can think of--upon which are founded the
very oppressions we are (i hope) fighting--and i will never participate in
a group where "forced consensus" tries to exist.

on the other hand, now that i've said my piece to the group, i vow to keep
more quiet at the "CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION" this Sunday, hoping that
this e-mail speaks for itself--and to the best of my ability, for us.

thanks for making independent media happen, and thanks especially to
Ellen K. and Paul R. for thinking so long and hard about the issue of our
self-structuring--i hope it doesn't seem like i'm tossing Molotov
cocktails at your work!  i swear, that's not what i intend.

hey IMC-stas, y'all make life in Urbana worth living!!

paulkotheimer:)