[Imc] WEFT and IMC programs

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 9 15:12:43 UTC 2001

Dear IMCers,

I just wanted to take a few moments of your time to clarify how special
locally-produced programs from the IMC and any other interested parties find
their way into the WEFT schedule.

Perhaps the easiest way is the informal way.  You may approach any
individual airshifter with pre-produced materials and ask that they
broadcast your work.  It is entirely up to the individual airshifter whether
she or he plays the material.

The more formal way is to make a proposal to the WEFT Programming Committee,
of which I am a member.  As coordinator of outside programming (a somewhat
misleading title), one of my duties is to inform WEFTies when slots in the
public affairs schedule opens up*. The Friday Forum (Mondays 6-7pm) is the
place where this occurs most often.  I have made a point of also informing
the IMC of such openings (primarily through this listserv). There are also
opportunities for community folks and/or WEFTies to produce drop-ins.
Community drop-ins are 3-5 minute locally produced public affairs pieces
about a topic.  The Programming Committee is currently considering a
proposal from an IMC member for environmental drop-ins five days a week.
Drop-ins have traditionally been placed in the Morning Menu slots (6-9am
M-F), but we may consider adding them elsewhere in the schedule.

The advantage of having a proposal accepted by the Programming Committee is
that your program is guaranteed to air.  In the case of drop-ins approved by
the PC, for example, the PC can schedule them during the morning menu at a
specified time and the MM airshifters will play them.  The other advantage
to going through the PC is that we will publicize your program (a sign in
the both that airshifters are required to read during their shifts is one
example of this) and offer feedback (we try to do this on a regular basis
but are not always successful).

Just remember, if your program or series or drop-in has not been approved by
the PC, the airshifter does not have to play it. You can ask, but again,
it's up to the individual airshifter.

I hope that this clarifies things.  As openings become available, I will
post them here as well as guidelines for submitting a proposal.  Proposals
for community drops-ins are welcome at any time. If you have any questions,
let me know.  Thanks much.

Kimberlie
WEFT Programming Committee Member

*(Dave Witzany, our Programming Chair, and Mick Woolf, our station manager,
do most of the announcing of open music slots in our strip programming).