[Imc] Pacifica May Cut Off WEFT June 7

Paul Riismandel p-riism at ntx1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu May 31 03:27:36 UTC 2001

Let's make sure we're all on the same page before we start having dreams of
getting former Pacifica money:  The money WEFT uses to pay Pacifica is a
Program Acquisition Grant (PAG) from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
(CPB).  This money can only pay for national programming--it is not any
different than the money WEFT uses for all of its national programming.  It
cannot pay for the production of local programming--this is an EXPLICIT
stipulation of the grant.  For the last 7+ years WEFT has only bought
programming using this PAG grant.

If WEFT were to cease paying Pacifica WEFT cannot instantaneously start
paying the IMC using this PAG money unless we were to start offering our
programming on a syndication basis to more than just WEFT, where WE are the
syndicators.  It is not good enough that some of our segments be aired on
Free Speech Radio News or National Radio Project.  In that case FSRN or NRP
is the syndicator and only they can get paid directly from WEFT.

For the IMC to be eligible for any of these funds we have to be offering our
programs nationally.  I would love for us to do this, and think we should
organize with an eye to this, but it does not allow us to simply step in
should WEFT no longer be airing Pacifica.

And as a side note--taking seriously Paul K's comments and concerns arising
from last week's News Hour--in my opinion there are significant
organizational questions that must be answered before the IMC is ready to
start offering our programs to a wider audience for $.  Frankly, I don't
think the current methodology cuts it, but I have already formally offered
suggestions and am willing to offer more.

--Paul