[Imc] Introductions

Michael Feltes mfeltes at NewMail.Net
Mon Sep 17 06:28:33 UTC 2001

Hello, all.  My name is Michael Feltes.  I'm 18, living
in Decatur.  I recently graduated from high school, and
am taking a year off before beginning my undergraduate
studies.  While I've been politically and socially conscious
for a few years, I'm only now starting to take action
on my beliefs, and the IMC is one avenue of activism
that I'd like to get involved in.  I will, in all likelihood,
be attending UIUC, so hopefully I can work with all of
you for a long time.

In addition to issues of general concern, I'd like to
work on projects that are particularly relevant to Decatur,
which has a dearth of alternative news that needs to
be filled.  I'm also interested in the growth and organization
of third parties in Illinois.  I would jump at the chance
to help anyone out with a project that they're working
on; my main strength is writing, although I'd like to
learn about audio production, as well.

In the spirit of jumping in feet-first, I'm working on
a project for publication on the Newswire and perhaps
October's issue of _public i_ about how  restrictions
on the right to organize have affected Decatur, taking
as a case in point the long history between Bridgestone-Firestone
and United Steelworkers Local 713.  Anyone with contacts
in the union, perhaps from the triple strikes of the
early 90's, or who can point to resources for me to research
would have my deepest gratitude.

I've also taken on the task of gathering headlines for
next week's IMC Newshour, so I suppose that this serves
as a solicitation for folks to write up a brief spot
to lead off next week's program.  I think that going
half and half between the WTC/Pentagon situation and
other news would be a good template, so I'm looking for
four of the former and three of the latter.  I'll prepare
a headline about Fr. Martin Mangan, who is a Catholic
priest at St. James Parish in Decatur.  He is dying from
cancer, and it's unlikely that he'll hold on through
this coming week.  He has been very active in social
issues through his whole life, and he's perhaps best
known for his fervent advocacy for the unions during
the triple strikes.

Here's some other ideas for headlines.

- Info about numbers of reservists in Central Illinois
who are being called up.

- If a military attack against Afghanistan comes during
the week, a short reaction from the other side, perhaps
through IndyMedia Russia or an independent Arab newspaper
(although that might be a contradiction in terms).

- Update on distribution of generic AIDS medications
in Third World countries

- Negotiations in Northern Ireland (they should be getting
close to the deadline where, without a settlement, the
Stormont parliament will have to be suspended indefinitely)

If any of you have ideas for headlines or would like
to work on one of these, please contact me by email.

Well, if you're still reading this, thanks.  I had a
lot to say, having lurked for a while on the lists and
read the Newswire regularly.  I look forward to meeting
and getting to know all of you.
Take care.

Michael Feltes
mfeltes at newmail.net