[Imc] hiding a story

Paul Riismandel p-riism at ntx1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 18 01:01:30 UTC 2001

I want to let people know that I hid a story on the website today.  It has
nothing to do with terrorism or threats.  I hid it because it contained
potentially libelous information that cannot be reasonably checked and the
person who left it left no name, e-mail or any other way to contact.

You can see the text below.  If anyone has an objection I will unhide it,
though I think it best to xxx out names even so.  I think any final decision
should be made at the steering meeting this week.

The article was called:"23 year old son killed by nc teacher"

Here is the text (note that i removed the names since that is what could be
considered libelous and the imc list is archived on the web):
"My 23 yr old son xxxxx was killed in February of 2001. He was killed by a
36 year old man, xxxxx that has a teaching certificate and is pursuing his
doctorate at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, NC. My son was
invited to this man's house and was unarmed. This man went to his closet and
got his 45 handgun out of the bedroom closet, unzipped the case, took the
gun and holster out of the case, took the gun out of the holster, ejected a
bullet to make sure that there was a bullet in the gun's chamber(loaded) and
killed my son with a shot to my son's chest. The bullet pierced my son's
heart and did massive internal damage. My son was not armed, did not try to
fight because the man had the gun aimed at my son's chest from about 3 feet
away. My son pled for his life but was shot and killed anyway. This killer
is a teacher and pursuing a doctorate in education, he pled guilty to
involuntary manslaughter. Will serve time in jail on weekends for a couple
of months and is on probation for 4 years. Apparently the value of my son's
life was not very important. My son leaves behind families and friends that
are appalled at this injustice. My son's wife will have to raise their 2
small boys and their baby that was just born earlier this month. Is there
any justice at all left in America?"