[Imc] Cancellation of Fisk's Iowa visit

John F. Garcia jf-garcia at uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 27 16:27:12 UTC 2001

Friends:  So soon after making the announcement to you, we must
retract it.  What we feared has happened.  Robert Fisk's home paper,
The London Independent, has directed him to remain in the Middle
East, where he is their main correspondent.  This is perfectly
understandable, but of course we regret the sudden change.  Iowans
for Peace with Iraq and other student and community groups had asked
Mr. Fisk to appear long before the cataclysm of 11 Sept.  As it
stands, he expresses an interest in rescheduling, perhaps for early
next year.  We will keep the IMC's in the upper Midwest region
informed about these developments.  Local plans for Middle East
Education Week (1-5 Oct.) go forward, even without our main
attraction.

Meanwhile we wish you all the strength and resolve to keep up the
excellent work that you are doing.

In solidarity,

JFG
--