[Imc] Steering Meeting Minutes (2/24/02):

Sascha Meinrath meinrath at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 24 19:09:23 UTC 2002

Present:  Mike L., Ellen K., Avram, Mark E., Brian H., James J., Mike F.,
Mike W., Paul R., Russ R.

Librarians:  Meeting at Allen Hall next week.

Tech:  Working on back-back-room configurations & revamping sound
throughout the Center -- will use Allen Hall funding to help pay for the
upgrades.

Finance:  Next week budget updates will be made for groups.  Several
fiscal sponsorship fundings came through (~$15,000) thus far.  Shows
bringing in funding.

Space:  Backroom continues to be built.  Next Saturday at 10a.m. will be
the ultimate workday -- please come if you can.  Brian working on sound
dampening stuff.

News:  Life in the Bike Lane (LITBL) is working more closely with
Newsgroup.  Pauline is going to Costa Rica with Radio for Peace
International & wants to get pieces to the UCIMC.  Tomorrow's show is on
Angola.  Training of new producers is working well.  Avram is new LITBL
liaison for Newsgroup.  Avram will do audio training Mondays from 6-8p.m.
Contact avram79 at hotmail.com if you would like to be trained.

Print:  First draft for March issue is today & moving apace.

*************

NEW BUSINESS:

AWARE would like UCIMC co-sponsorship of candle-light vigil on the UIUC
Quad on March 11th.  We would help promote the event.  If AWARE posts an
article, we will put it on our website.

Anti-GE (genetic engineering) Tour:  Road tour (Road Rage) -- Early in
April or Late April.  Referred to space to set up logistics.

Equipment:  Will be brought to space for immediate action.

*****************

OLD BUSINESS:

General Membership Meeting:  Should we re-up the structure of the Steering
Group and other IMC protocols.  Working groups will report back to the
steering group with ideas.  Structure documents are posted on the main
UCIMC website (look for IMC Structure on the main page).  Mark E. will
contact Cope re: creating Invitations.  Financial update for Membership.
Recap of the year, structural review, visioning, membership renewals will
all be included in the invite agenda.

Allen Hall:  Paul -- everything is in order.  Mike F -- will flyer later
today.  Still working on getting a computer with SoundForge on it to Allen
Hall.  People should send bios to Paul Riismandel <p-riism at uiuc.edu>

IMC-Switzerland:  UCIMC Steering Group supports IMC Switzerland as an
open-publishing system.  Sascha will draft letter.

IMC-Global:  Went down again.  Our systems were unaffected.

IMC-Italy & raids:  UCIMC is looking for pro-bono legal representation (if
you have leads, please contact Sascha <meinrath at ucimc.org>).  Paul R.
would like an Italy Summary posted to the website.  There is concern over
back-ups of our website and information.  Land of Lincoln?  ACLU?  Milton
Otto?

*********************

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

Working Groups:  If you have specific needs and duties, send them to Paul
R. <p-riism at uiuc.edu> so he can recruit students from Allen Hall for
specific tasks.  We're looking for staffers and other project ideas from
working groups.

Pages for All Ages:  will give a 25% discount for all books bought for the
Urbana-Champaign IMC.

Living Wage:  Tomorrow (Monday 2/25/02) at 7p.m. the County Board will
vote on the Living Wage resolution.  It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that people
show up.  Look for breaking news from the UCIMC website.

Art & Revolution:  wants to move to the UCIMC (10p.m - midnight) on
Wednesdays.

Adjourned: 13:05

Respectfully submitted,

--Sascha Meinrath