[Imc] Death Threatz

John Martirano martiran at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 7 21:49:25 UTC 2002

since the whole idea is for it to be community created, maybe
community management would be a good idea...  people could vote
a post into a "censored" category, which you could still view,
but would come wiht a disclaimer that the content contained is
considered to be obscene, etc... (a physically separate newswire)

an easier idea is to use this voting mechanism to merely
place the offending post on a list that some newswire editor will
later evaluate

to get further far out... ive done soem work with automatic
text document clustering... it should be possible with enough
examples (ie is this happening to every imc) to predict what
is hatemail...

again this technology could be used to place possible offensive
posts in a list to be later evaluated... or for that matter, just
looking for some key words or keyword combos could be somewhat
effective...

actually the list-to-be-evaluated could be an accessible category
that has to be voted back into the newswire!  again community
evaluation is key.

i realize these ideas are not short-term solutions... but
neither is the existence of such attitudes.

	-john

Josh Michaels spoke: