[Imc] Questions/ Ideas regarding IMC Website

Michael Walcher solaraycer at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 13 05:55:21 UTC 2002

I have been increasingly becoming energized around the potential of the Independent Media Center here in Urbana and ALOT of Questions needing input then I will better be able to focus my direction in the most sensible direction...

    I know that the software that runs the iMC site ( called Active ) is being redone and will be drastically improved im sure and these are my questions...

and i am hoping that the New software will drastically increase the potential for Online coolaboration on projects.

Also, I am conscerned with the lack of ability to build a story with a threaded discussion.

What improvements are being made?

 How does one get involved?

What is the decision making structure to implement and fund these ideas?

How soon will this occur?

Another Valuable Qustion I have is :

What is the Mission Statement of the Urbana iMC in regard to the Community ?

basically , what i am wondering is how you all see the iMC fitting in the community , the University , the state, the midwest usa and the internet ?

Also, what i would enjoy seeing is a list of projects ,sort of a todo list

Is or should the IMC Calendar serve the entire community and if so then we should figure how to best organize this community in utilizing this valuable resource?

threaded discussion forum

I am having a very hard time communicating with all you activists , with so many many things needing our attention I think it makes sense that we institute the best possible means of communicating, a.k.a. a threaded discussion forum such as a few of the IMC's have implemented

such as Los Angeles iMC  goto LAiMC site and click on Bulletin Board  http://la.indymedia.org/index.php3

NEXT ITEM

I also think it would be extremely useful to implement a chat room , for the very purpose of chatting and coolaboration on ideas

feel free to email me individually and/or the entire list and I then if needed will re-post my thoughts on this...

Another plug for Bulletin Boards

Much of the individual conversations that fill my email box daily and take time to delete could be taken care of through a threaded discussion board where if I am interested and Only if I am interested will I be subjected to unneeded info , thus allowing me more time to change/save the planet

    If you fail to see the usefulness of this please email me solaraycer at yahoo.com and I will explain this further.

Yes I do feel it will take a bit of time for this to become utilized to its potential but have used this type of discussion for many years on the internet and can easily say that bulletin board tye dicussions  exponentially improves the efficiency and efectiveness of those using it!

disclaimer: I do realize that for some of you this email is somewhat  redundant  but for me the answers to these question are very much needed and I feel this is the best way in answering them..by asking !

so, please help me become the best activist i can be and i in turn will help you !

most sincerity,

Michael Walcher