[Imc] Desperate plea for Keys

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 14 23:50:19 UTC 2002

I was asked why it wouldn't be easier to just make more keys. That is a
good question, so here are a number of reasons why it is better to
appropriately distribute the keys we do have, rather than spending more
money to make keys.

It is actually an interaction of a number of circumstances.

We have been trying to hold off investing any more money in the current
front door lock. Remember the issue with locking the door from the
inside awhile back? We would eventually like to get that resolved, with
a new lock, but this won't happen until things are in better shape
financially. So investing in more keys for a lock that we hope to change
in the not too distant future seems like a bad idea.

I'm sure that any money we could spend on more keys would be better
spent on what it'll take to buy a new lock. But this is an issue that is
also associated with the possible purchase of the buildiing, which will
need to be resolved before a decision can be made on the whole issue of
the plans for the front entrance. If it is going to be a few years
before it is rebuilt (which we thought might have been accomplished this
year), I would support getting the new lock to satisfy the already
established desire. I think the best all-around solution would be a
digital electronic lock. This would allow us the greatest security, for
the smallest and most flexible long-term investment. I know we don't
have the money for that now.

There is also the issue of having enough staffers. If everyone just has
a key, there is little incentive to staff the place. Right now, there
are a number of people who formerly staffed, but still retain keys.
That's convenient for them, but imposes an unneccessary burden on
others, when having the key back would allow the IMC to be open longer,
satisfying more people that wander in off the street (and coincidentally
satisfying most of the needs for access of those who don't staff, but
still have keys.) The IMC was meant to be a public space and the
investment in keys has to prioritize this function. Having lots of keys
turns it into more of a private club than I think most of us should feel
comfortable with.

Having too many keys floating around IS a security issue. The more out
there, the more the investment will be if one is lost or stolen under
conditions that make it likely that we need to change the lock. If this
should occur, it will be an expense we'll just have to eat, it sure
won't be budgeted for, and the more keys out there when it happens, the
more expensive it'll be.

Keys are a dead investment with no return, unlike many other things at
the IMC which we would find better places to invest money in, in terms
of the return on the investment. If we were swimming in cash, this
wouldn't be an issue, but the opposite is the case, unfortunately.

Plus, you turn in your key, you get your $20 deposit back.

BTW, I will support making more keys, if it turns out that we actually
need more to keep the space staffed. The person who asked the question
does not have a key themself. But I do. I use it for gaining access to
do maintenance, but this is an ocassional need that I can work around
(although I am also the first person who might be called in an emergency
and it may be a good idea for me to have it for that reason alone,
rather than worrying about how I'm going to get the door unlocked.) If
need be, I am willing to give up my key (I admit it, I don't have time
to staff right now) if need be so that a staffer can have it.

Other opinions are welcome.
Mike Lehman