[IMC] Press release: National Community Development Week

Murphy, Matthew mdmurphy at urbanaillinois.us
Wed Apr 11 18:43:03 UTC 2012

 <<PROCLAMATION NCDW 2012.docx>>  <<PRESS RELEASE NCDW.docx>>  <<QUICK
FACTS NCDW HOME.docx>>  <<QUICK FACTS NCDW CDBG.docx>>

PRESS RELEASE

Urbana, Illinois
For further information, contact
April 10, 2012							Kelly
Mierkowski at (217) 384-2441

The City of Urbana Celebrates National Community Development Week
Mayor Laurel Lunt Prussing and the City Council issued a proclamation
supporting the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program and the
HOME Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program through the official
recognition of National Community Development Week which will be
celebrated during the week of April 9 through April 14, 2012.
Enacted into law in 1974, the CDBG program is the principal federal
program providing grants to States, cities and counties to devise
neighborhood approaches that will improve the physical, economic and
social conditions in communities.  It is administered nationally by the
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.  The HOME program
provides grants to States, cities and counties to create safe, sanitary,
and affordable housing opportunities nationwide.
This year, 2012, marks the 38th anniversary of the CDBG program and the
21st anniversary of the HOME program.  Both programs have faced
significant cuts in funding in the past two years; CDBG has suffered a
26% cut, and HOME has suffered a 48% cut since 2010.  In fiscal year
2010, CDBG was funded at $3.99 billion and HOME was funded at $1.825
billion.  CDBG is now funded at $2.95 billion and HOME is now funded at
$1.0 billion nationally.  Next year Urbana will receive $362,644 in
CDBG, down from $421,469 this year, a 13.9% cut.  It will receive
$769,083 in HOME next year, down from $1,000,552 this year, a 23% cut.
Given the severity of the recent recession and the continuing weakness
of the overall economy and employment situation, these programs are
needed more than ever to help our cities cope with reduced revenues, to
provide services to our most vulnerable citizens; seniors, youth,
homeless and those with disabilities, and to maintain and improve the
conditions of our homes, our neighborhoods and our public
infrastructure.

Matt Murphy
Grants Management Associate
Department of Community Development Services
City of Urbana
mdmurphy at urbanaillinois.us
217.384.2420