[IMC] Buying and Selling School Reform

Joanne Barkan joannebarkan at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 28 14:55:59 UTC 2012

Here is the link to my new article--on the political operations behind "education reform." Please  post the link or send it to readers who might be interested. Feel free to post excerpts as well (but not the entire article). Comments welcome.

Joanne Barkan

Hired Guns on Astroturf:

How to Buy and Sell School Reform

by Joanne Barkan

http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=4240
from "Hired Guns on Astroturf":
If you want to change government policy
change the politicians who make it. The
implications of this truism have now taken
hold in the market-modeled “education reform
movement.” As a result, the private funders
and nonprofit groups that run the movement
have overhauled their strategy. They’ve gone
political as never before—like the National
Rifle Association or Big Pharma or (ed
reformers emphasize) the teachers’ unions.

Jonah Edelman, CEO of Stand for Children
($5.2 million from the Gates Foundation, 2003–2011),
sums up the thinking: “We’ve learned the hard way
that if you want to have the clout needed to
change policies for kids, you have to help
politicians get elected. It’s about money,
money, money” (Wall Street Journal, November
3, 2010).