[IMC] Faith in the Struggle at Channing Murray Foundation

Rachel Storm rachelstrm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 16:57:55 UTC 2013

Greetings!

Any support in sharing this news is wonderful.

________________

Many of us know that it is through volunteer labor, donations, and selfless
support that we continue to strive to improve programs and services at
Channing Murray Foundation/The Red Herring Restaurant. This weekend's Red
Herring Rummage Sale was no different--we saw an outpouring of support from
friends of the foundation in offering items for the sale, volunteering to
help staff the sale, and coming by to browse and make purchases that would
support our projects. *We know how much you, like us, want to see the
restaurant thrive as a hub for amazing vegan-vegetarian eats in C-U.* This
is why it is with a heavy heart that we report that after raising close to
$1,300 through our Red Herring Rummage Sale--funds that would support
capital improvements and enhanced operation in the Red Herring Vegetarian
Restaurant--we discovered that our proceeds, after having been locked and
stowed away, had been stolen Saturday night from our premises.

We are dedicated to taking swift action to work to recover the funds. Upon
discovering the theft, the President and our Board of Governors have been
working closely with the Urbana and University Police Departments to
recover the stolen funds, implement more security procedures and policy for
the building, and see to it that an incident like this will never occur
again on our premises. We are confident that the steps we are taking will
increase the building's overall security and we, the Board of Governors,
along with local police, are hopeful we will recover every dollar taken.

It's easy in times like these to feel defeated, to lose faith in the power
of our organization, to grow tired--*but we are standing strong*. We are
committed to the long haul. We will continue to fundraise to support the
reopening of a new and improved Red Herring Vegetarian Restaurant with
persistence and commitment. We've extended our Red Herring Rummage sale
until next Saturday, July 13th for one day only. We hope you'll come out to
support the Red Herring Restaurant--consider donating items to the sale
(donations will be accepted M-F 12pm-3pm and Friday evening 6pm-9pm at the
Channing Murray Foundation 1209 W. Oregon St. Urbana), volunteering with
the Red Herring Summer Restoration Project, or offering a monetary gift
here. And most of all, we want to *thank you*, from the bottom of our
hearts, for the support of members of the Champaign-Urbana community that
give us strength, hope, and the determination to keep going.

Channing Murray Board of Governors

Warmly,
Rachel