[IMC] Media Advisory: LGBT religious leaders speak out through photography exhibition

Megan Flowers megan at universityymca.org
Tue Jan 14 20:16:13 UTC 2014

*Media Advisory: We Have Faith*

LGBT Religious Leaders Speak Out

Through Nationally Touring Photography-Text Exhibition

*For Media Inquiries, contact:*
Megan Flowers, Communications Director
[office: 217-337-1500 cell: 251-209-2615, email: megan at universityymca.org]

*Who:* Organized by the Family Diversity Project <http://familydiv.org/>,
the University Y’s Art at theY program hosts *We Have Faith*. Sponsored by:
C/U PFLAG, Channing-Murray Foundation, Chapel of Saint John the Divine,
Diversity Education, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource
Center, McKinley Presbyterian Church and Foundation, Saint Andrew's Church
and Lutheran Campus Center, Saint Matthew Lutheran Church, Sinai Temple,
Social Action Committee of the Unitarian-Universalist Church of
Urbana-Champaign, UCC Campus Ministry, University YMCA, UniPlace Christian
Church, Wesley United Methodist Church

*What:* We Have Faith! explores the experiences of LGBTQ clergy and
religious leaders from many traditions and denominations including
Christians, Jews, Muslims, and others. They unite their personal stories
and histories with their commitment to peace, justice and civil rights
through their work in religious establishments of all kinds.

*When:* Thursday, January 23, 2014 from 5pm to 7pm

*Where:* Murphy Gallery | University YMCA | 1001 S. Wright Street |
Champaign, IL 61820

*Why: *We Have Faith offers an authentic, faith-based witness for full
equality and inclusion of LGBTQ people in light of gay rights controversies
and policies and practices that the University YMCA finds oppressive and
dehumanizing.

*Details:* Parking lot on 6th between Daniel & Chalmers - Free after 5pm,
Parking garage on 6th & John -Free after 5pm, Street parking on Wright,
Chalmers, & 6th Streets for 75¢ per hour, Municipal lot on Green & 5th
Streets for $1 per hour

*Additional Information:* Art @ the Y is an initiative of the University
YMCA, 1001 S. Wright Street, Champaign, IL 61820. All Art @ the Y events
are free and open to the public.

###

*About Murphy Gallery:* You may not think of a YMCA as the first place
you’d go to view an art exhibit, particularly one showcasing a unique
variety of work from people who are just starting out, established, or feel
compelled to use art to speak out about and engage people in growing
concerns of our communities.  Murphy Gallery is a space that not only
reflects the work of the University Y towards social justice, environmental
protection, interfaith advocacy, and global engagement, but also encourages
informed action.

Website: www.universityymca.org/art

--
Best,