[IMC] Filmapalooza Recap, 48HFP Returns to Hollywood, "48 Minutes" Feature Film, and more

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Wed Mar 19 12:05:14 UTC 2014

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
March 2014
Editor: Brian Bowers

March 48HFP Newsletter

Highlights from Filmapalooza New Orleans

Filmapalooza Photo Montage

48HFP Returns to Hollywood for Filmapalooza 2015

2014 Tour Dates at a Glance

Doc Challenge "Behind the Curtain" Audience Voting

48HFP Video Gallery

Dutch Filmmakers Push the Envelope with Feature Film 48 Minutes

Highlights from Filmapalooza New Orleans

Less than two weeks ago almost 350 filmmakers from around the world met in New
Orleans for what many call our best Filmapalooza yet. The weekend was truly an
incredible experience. Filmapalooza was filled with movie screenings, parties,
and networking events. The most rewarding experience was seeing filmmakers from
all around the world and from many different backgrounds come together and bond
over their common love of filmmaking.

Filmmakers are still talking about their experiences--

I wanted to take the time to say how amazing it was to meet so many of you (wish
I could have met everyone!) and how fabulous it was to see everyone’s films! The
time I spent in New Orleans has produced so many fond memories and I am truly
grateful that I was able to witness so much talent from around the world.

Nadia H., Baltimore

Filmapalooza was awesome and there were some truly amazing films that I had the
privilege of seeing. It was great to meet you all!

Shaun M., Brisbane

I would like to reiterate what everyone else has been saying. We had a BLAST
meeting all you incredible filmmakers.

Joe C., Kansas City

...like everyone else we've had the best time at Filmapalooza. It was great
meeting all you talented and awesome people. Had a blast!

Sytse F., Utrecht

Some highlights included experiencing Mardi Gras (for some of the early arriving
filmmakers), our pub crawl down Bourbon Street that ended up in the Frenchmen
Street area, our annual Karaoke party, and a run-in with a band of very happy
pirates! Breaking Bad's David Costabile was our special guest emcee where he
delivered a hilarious Awards Ceremony opening speech, posed for selfies with
dozens of filmmakers, and recited Walt Whitman. After the final award was
announced, Costabile introduced a special surprise - a second line band led the
Filmapalooza attendees out of the theater, and welcomed them to the closing
party at the Roux House. It was truly an evening to be remembered.

The crowning moment of the weekend came with the announcement of the judge's
awards for our 2013 films, along with the ten films that will screen at Cannes
Film Festival in May. Congratulations to our Grand Champion Best 48 Hour Film of
2013 "Green Klote!" by De Filmband from Amsterdam. You can view the winning film
along with two of the other top films below. The full list of award winners was
sent out via email late last week and is posted
at [1]http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmapalooza, and the official Cannes selections
can be found at [2]http://www.48hourfilm.com/cannes. Congratulations to all of
our winning films and all of the filmmakers that attended and helped to make
this the most memorable Filmapalooza ever.
Filmapalooza Photo Montage
Didn't make it to this year's Filmapalooza? Get a sample of what you missed out
on below. Special thanks to photographers Trish Clark, Rob Hatch, and Melissa
Robison for their photos.

48HFP Returns to Hollywood for Filmapalooza 2015
We're thrilled to announce that the 48HFP will return to the heart of the
filmmaking world, Hollywood, for Filmapalooza 2015!  Rub elbows with
celebrities, make great industry contacts, and watch all of our 2014 Best Films
from around the world screen at their Hollywood premier. We were previously in
Hollywood for Filmapalooza 2013, where 400 filmmakers attended our largest
Filmapalooza to date.

Save the date--we return to California from March 5th-9th, 2015. We'll post more
updates throughout the year at [3]http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmapalooza as
details firm up. Filmapalooza is open to ALL of our 48HFP filmmakers, so make
plans now to join us in the moviemaking capitol of the world, Hollywood!

2014 Tour Dates at a Glance
Now that Filmapalooza is wrapped up, we're headed full steam into our 2014 tour!
The current list of city tour dates is below. We look forward to returning to A
Coruna and Nijmegen over the next few weeks, as well as kicking off our
inaugural 48HFP competitions in Tours, Jaffna, and Lima. While there are many
city dates still undecided we are finalizing them on a daily basis--you can
always view the most up to date list of city dates on our website at
[4]https://www.48hourfilm.com/en/tour/chronological.php.
Washington D.C. 48HFP Kickoff

[5][jpeg]
[6][jpeg]
[7][jpeg]

Don't see your city on our tour? Email [8]newcities at 48hourfilm.com to get more
information on how we can bring the 48HFP to you!

Doc Challenge "Behind the Curtain" Audience Voting
[9]

In past newsletters we've told you about the [10]Doc Challenge, an international
short film challenge focused entirely on creating documentaries. The competition
kicked off earlier this year and the films are currently being judged by an
international panel of film professionals. The top films will screen in April
and May as a part of the Hot Docs Film Festival in Toronto.

New for this year, the Doc Challenge also rolled out a special secondary
competition called "Behind the Curtain" featuring filmmaker-submitted behind the
scenes videos of the making of their official Doc Challenge submissions. These
films are currently online at [11]www.TheAudienceAwards.com for audience voting.
The top "Behind the Curtain" film as selected by the audience voting will win a
cash prize. Voting closes on April 7th, so take some time now to view these
special films and get a glimpse at what goes on "behind the curtain" of the Doc
Challenge!

Cast your vote
at [12]http://theaudienceawards.com/contests/14/BTS-Doc-Challenge.html.

48HFP Video Gallery
In each newsletter we feature some of our 48HFP films, and this issue features
the best of the best. The three films below represent the top three movies from
our 2013 tour, as revealed a couple of weeks ago at our Awards Ceremony during
Filmapalooza. Each of these films will screen at Cannes Film Festival in May in
the Short Film Corner. Special congratulations to De Filmband from Amsterdam for
their film "Green Klote!", our Grand Champion Best 48 Hour Film of 2013.

[13]
"Geen Klote!" by De Filmband from Amsterdam
Grand Champion Best 48 Hour Film of 2013, Best Editing,
Best Actor - Johnny Kraaijkamp Jr.
Official Cannes Selection

[14]
"La Boullabaisse" by Anian Film from Rome
Runner Up for Best 48 Hour Film of 2013, Best Directing
Official Cannes Selection

[15]
"Le Metronome" by Ça va le faire from Paris
Second Runner Up for Best 48 Hour Film of 2013, Best Special Effects
Official Cannes Selection

Dutch Filmmakers Push the Envelope With Feature Film 48 Minutes
[16]Along with our top films from 2013 we also had a very special screening--the
U.S. premier of the feature film [17]48 Minutes. This film is special for many
reasons, the biggest one being that the entire feature length film was written,
shot, and edited in just 48 days. This special project was headed by our 48HFP
Netherlands Producer, Richard Schut. It was done as an experiment--could
filmmakers take the concept of creating short films in 48 hours and apply those
same principles to create a feature film in just 48 days? The answer was a
resounding "yes"!

Last August a group of Dutch filmmakers met to begin work on the film. In the
spirit of the 48HFP, they showed up on the first day and drew three random
elements required for the film. At that moment, they started to collectively
write and produce the film. The direction of the film was a collaborative
process, with each of the filmmakers directing a different segment of the film,
which was then collectively edited to maintain the throughline of the story. The
movie is about four people that wake up together in a room to find out that they
each only have 48 minutes left to live. Schut describes the film as "...full of
unexpected twists. The cast is a mix of established and new actors" that
"engages the audience in a profound way."

Prior to Filmapalooza the film premiered at a major Dutch film festival. 48
Minutes can currently be viewed online at [18]Viewster as part of a special
online film festival. You can view the film and rate it on a 5 star system--a
total of $100,000 in cash will be awarded to the top rated films. Voting is open
until March 28th--do yourself a favor and watch this cutting edge film, and if
you like what you see, be sure to rate it highly so we can continue to create
other special projects like this.

View the film and rate it
at [19]http://www.viewster.com/festival-details/1251-17105-000/48-minutes.
Get Social!
[20] [png]          [21] [png]           [22] [png]