[Peace-discuss] Moving peace & peace-discuss to better-maintained systems?

J.B. Nicholson jbn at forestfield.org
Mon Apr 19 22:34:30 UTC 2021

Stuart Levy wrote:
> There have been other legitimate messages held up automatically because
> the chambana.net mailman software thought it had "suspicious header"
> blocks, but they seem to be rare.   The only ones in the "peace" admin
> queue since last August that were flagged with a suspicious header were
> yours from yesterday, and two from Karen Medina sent last August.

I've had other messages rejected for a few reasons:

- server ran out of space
- server "refused to talk to me"
- I was "blocked using black.uribl.com"

dating back to 2019-03-12. I don't know if these rejections will show up in your logs
but I've got the undelivered mail messages dating back that far if proof is required.

> It's frustrating to moderate this list, because for some reason I no longer get
> e-mail messages summarizing the set of messages that have been held for
> moderation.   I can still see them, but only if I know to look at the admin page.
> So when I saw your comment yesterday, I did set that message free.
Thanks for checking the moderation page and letting my post go through to the mailing
list.

> It's not obvious to me why it thinks the header is suspicious. (Would you like me
> to send you a copy of the full e-mail headers, in case you can tell why?)
> Though even if we did know the reason, I'm not sure what to do about it.
I'd take a look at them if you have them (please feel free to send them to me), but
this may well be something configured on the server and not in Mailman, in which case
changing this would mean working with the server admin to get that done.

> One route might be to give up on lists.chambana.net e-mail server, and migrate to
> something else.   Since I think some people still write to the @anti-war.net
> address, we'd need control over that. I believe it's in the name of Rosemary Braun
> - I last talked with her in 2007, and who knows whether she'll have 18-year-old
> login information, but can ask.

I think it would be good to get that info from Rosemary Braun regardless of the
outcome of this part of the discussion.

I also think it would be good to move away from lists.chambana.net. I've endorsed
moving the two AWARE mailing lists to another hoster before and I still think this is
the best route for AWARE's benefit because:

- it's important that someone current has the domain information,
- it will be necessary to have that information when it's time to move the resources
to another host (as appears to be the case now),
- the only other option to keep things going as they are now is to get a new domain
name and use that new domain name with the new hoster.

In the past I've recommended Dreamhost as the hoster for the peace and peace-discuss
mailing lists. I'd still recommend them as they're reasonably priced and have Mailman
much like what you currently use. But they're certainly not the only option available
for either domain registrar, website hosting (last I knew, AWARE had a website), and
for email + mailing list.

Some time ago I asked Dreamhost admins what it would take for them to keep the
archives, mailing list subscribers (and their settings), and thus let us all continue
posting to:

   peace at anti-war.net -- peace list posts
   peace-discuss at anti-war.net -- peace-discuss list posts

I believe that I've got those notes and could supply them if desired.

-J