[Peace-discuss] IfNotNow: Jews & allies gather in DC to demand Gaza ceasefire, Monday noon, Farragut Square

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 22:11:18 UTC 2023

The DC Beltway "conventional wisdom" in the press is that the U.S.-Israeli
ground assault on Gaza can't be stopped. But this conventional wisdom has
been wrong before. It could be wrong now. Despite what the people in charge
are gaslighting us to think, this is not yet a *fait accompli*.

1. They say they were planning on doing it this weekend. Now they say they
delayed because of weather. I doubt weather is the whole story. They don't
have their ducks lined up yet. They don't have US & US ally foreign
nationals out of Gaza yet, a courtesy that US allies strongly expect before
the US gives Israel the green light to go in. I'm not talking about the
hostages. I'm talking about the foreign diplomats, aid workers, their
family members, people who were visiting family in Gaza, etc. They usually
evacuate these people before starting a ground war. They don't have these
people out yet. It's chaos.

Look, this is from two hours ago:

Anxiety builds for Americans in Gaza as a deal to open a crossing into
Egypt remains elusive.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/15/world/israel-news-hamas-war-gaza/anxiety-builds-for-americans-in-gaza-as-deal-to-open-crossing-into-egypt-remains-elusive

"Americans trapped in Gaza are getting increasingly desperate about getting
through the closed Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt *after
talks broke down around an agreement to allow U.S. citizens safe passage*
from the blockaded enclave into Egypt."
[...]
“Windows shattered last night,” she said in a text. *Earlier on Sunday*,
the State Department had told her to “stay near the border” she said, and
that it “was *negotiating with the Egyptians*.”
[...]
"Egypt has held up aid convoys to Gaza over disagreements with Israel about
how and where the convoys should be screened for weapons, according to a
senior diplomat familiar with the discussions. *Egypt has refused to allow
even foreigners to leave Gaza until that was resolved, the diplomat added*."
[...]
"Wael Abu Omar, a spokesman for the Palestinian border crossing, said *the
crossing was unlikely to open on Sunday*. Mr. Omar, reached by telephone,
said Gazan officials *were still waiting for the go-ahead from Egyptian
authorities*."

2. American Jewish public opinion is more divided on this than the DC
Beltway realizes yet. It's not just "the far left." Look!

At U.S. synagogues, calls for peace and too many emotions to process.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/14/us/israel-american-synagogues-jews.html
[...]
As Israeli leaders spent Saturday preparing for an invasion of Gaza, Jews
at many U.S. synagogues grappled with the scale of overall devastation so
far.

At Congregation Rodeph Shalom, a *Reform synagogue in Philadelphia, Rabbi
Eli Freedman* led a Sabbath Torah study. He discussed the story of Cain and
Abel and what it meant to be your “brother’s keeper” at a time when
innocent lives — both Israeli and Palestinian — were being lost by the
thousands.

“One hundred percent, Israel has a right to defend itself,” he said. *He
then added, “we have a responsibility to the innocent people of Gaza.”*

Ruth Smith, who attended that Torah study, urged for a peaceful solution. *“How
many people can we kill in order to feel safe?” she asked.*

A week into the war, the grief is only increasing, *Rabbi Sam Levine of
East Midwood Jewish Center* wrote in prepared remarks that were read to
congregants of the *Conservative synagogue in Brooklyn*. *But* *he
cautioned against succumbing to a “thirst for revenge” against Hamas.*

*“This is the instinct that has to be quashed. Otherwise, how are we any
different from them?” he wrote.*
[...]

3. "Establishment" opinion is more divided on this than most people
realize. Look!

*An Invasion of Gaza Would Be a Disaster for IsraelAmerica Must Prevail on
Its Ally to Step Back From the BrinkBy Marc Lynch*
October 14, 2023
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/middle-east/invasion-gaza-would-be-disaster-israel

*The U.S. Is Giving Israel Permission for War Crimes*
*Eric Levitz*, features writer for Intelligencer who covers politics and
economics
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/10/the-u-s-is-giving-israel-permission-for-war-crimes.html

*Gaza conditions a ‘complete catastrophe,’ official warns as Israel
prepares for offensive*
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/15/middleeast/israel-hamas-gaza-war-sunday-intl-hnk/index.html

*Israel appears to use white phosphorus in Gaza, video shows*
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/10/12/white-phosphorus-israel-gaza-strike-video/