[Peace-political] tonight's forum and another tomorrow

Sharon Irish s-irish1 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 17 11:15:07 CDT 2001

One query about this panel made me think I should post it to this group
(again?)--and another event tomorrow night (unfortunately at the same time
as one at IDF with Francis Boyle). The students at Urbana High on Thursday
could use community support and interest.
Sharon Irish

TONIGHT:
Panel Discussion: The Global Media and the War on Terrorism
Bob McChesney (Institute of Communications Research): on US media
Suvir Kaul (English): on India and Pakistan
Marilyn Booth (Comparative Literature): on the Arab Middle East
Diane Koenker (History): on Russia and the former USSR
At this time of crisis and conflict there is an immense need for reflective
and internationally aware public debate. The parameters of our
understanding, however, are to a considerable extent framed by the media
sources on which we rely for our information. This panel of local scholars
will critically examine the role of the media at this time, both in the
United States and elsewhere: in the Middle East, the former Soviet Union,
and South Asia. What perspectives are overlooked in mainstream US coverage
of the war, and how can we overcome inadequacies in our primary news
sources? How and why is this conflict viewed differently elsewhere? And
what constraints exist on media discussion in these countries? Brief
presentations by the expert panelists will be followed by an open
discussion on these issues.
Wednesday 17 October - 7;30 p.m.
Third Floor, Levis Faculty Center - 919 West Illinois Street
Organized by Teachers for Peace and Justice (www.iprh.uiuc.edu/tfpj.html).
Co-sponsored by: Department of History; Illinois Program for Research in
the Humanities.

TOMORROW NIGHT:
Urbana High School Students for World Improvement (SWI) will
be hosting a community/school forum entitled
"What is War? What are Alternatives to War?"
The forum will be held on Thursday, October 18, at Urbana High School
at 1002 S. Race St.
It will begin at 7:00 p.m. in room 2199, or the lecture hall.
Guest speakers will include: Mobin Shorish, William Taylor, and
Helen and Cameron Satterthwaite.
The guests will speak briefly and the audience will be invited to ask
questions, make comments and discuss the issues.
Live music and refreshments will be provided.
The event is free and open to all: students, parents, teachers, and
community members.

PS
Mobin Shorish is a professor emeritus in Educational Policy Studies. Helen
S. is former State Representative. Cameron S. is active in AWARE (and many
other causes, I am sure.) Bill Taylor was a CO during Vietnam war and has
been involved in many progressive causes, esp. related to Central America.
--Sharon