[rfu-automation] Fwd: Automatically switching playlists with Scheduled Tasks and ZaraRadio

Lynsee Melchi lynseemelchi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 22:32:57 CDT 2006

Bear in mind...I still don't really get how the whole computer situations
are going to be laid out.  Sorry it's just something I'll have to see in
person and use before I get it.  No need to explain to me now.  So, sorry if
this suggestion sort of doesn't address the issue.

Although I don't know how much folks actually look at documentation
(especially long boring docs)...it may be helpful to have pages printed out
and in the studio telling folks about the volume thing as well as anything
else folks might need to troubleshoot.  This is something that was promised
as far as the new design went (I think) but is something that is pretty
imperative if we expect folks to be able to troubleshoot problems.  I think
this has been a major downfall on our part cos I think folks know the way
things are supposed to be...but when things are not the way they are
supposed to be a lot of folks don't understand how to troubleshoot
intelligently.  Troubleshooting just takes on pushing random buttons, etc.
I have been around a lot w/Dan blah, etc in the studio and I still don't get
it all the time...I can't imagine a person that doesn't even show up to
meetings, read emails, etc trying to figure out what to do to fix a
problem.

I know that you guys/ladies are pretty interested in just making things
work, but also documenting is important.  I know this has been done a bit,
but it needs to be user friendly.  I'm sure this is just wishful idealistic
thinking right now on my part...but I just thought I'd speak up.

And maybe this is also a training issue too.

Lynsee

On 7/1/06, Gary Cziko <g-cziko at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> All:
>
> Over the past week or so I have been testing out on my own computer  the
> possibility of using Windows Scheduled Tasks to have ZaraRadio automatically
> switch between two different playlists.
>
> This seems to work fine and should make it possible for us to play
> indecent and profane material during safe-harbor hours of 10 pm to 6 am if
> that is what we all decide to do.
>
> The one little glitch, as I believe has been noted here before, is that
> when ZaraRadio restarts with a new playlist (or is even closed and restarted
> with the same playlist), it resets its volume to the maximum which may cause
> some distortion of the sound. Resetting the computer's system sound to a
> lower level might compensate, but back when we first set up ZaraRadio,
> Stéphane said that ZaraRadio distorts at its maximum volume on our
> automation computer regardless of the system sound volume setting. So we
> still would need to check this out on the automation computer itself, or
> find another way solving the volume problem if we are going to be switching
> playlists as we go into and out of safe-harbor hours.
>
> --Gary

Tune in to More Fire! on Radio Free Urbana 104.5FM.  More Fire! is a crazy
music extravaganza on Monday nights 11pm-1am (or later).  Check us out
online at: www.wrfu.net.

"Trust can never be a fortress, a safe enclosure against life.  Trusting is
dangerous.  But without trust there is no hope for love, and love is all we
have to hold against the dark."
       -Creina Alcock-