[rfu-automation] Re: D'oh!

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 22 20:47:59 CDT 2006

Lynsee:

I am only referring to music that is on the automation system. DJs with
shows during safe-harbor hours (10pm to 6am) can play any profane or
indecent material they want (obscene material can never be aired--
see http://radio.about.com/od/sternindecency/a/blobscenityplus.htm).

My proposal is keep all recordings that could be considered profane or
indecent off the automation system (as we are doing now) and allow unchecked
music to be played during safe-harbor hours (which we are not doing now).
This is contingent upon being able to set up two music playlists in
ZaraRadio that will automatically switch at the right time so that only
checked clean music will be played from 6am to 10pm and this same music plus
unchecked music will be played during safe-harbor hours. Music discovered
later to be profane or indecent would be pulled from the automation system.
Music of suspected of being obscene should never be put on the automation
computer as this could get us into trouble even during safe-harbor hours. So
people should have a general idea about what they are putting on the system
(that it is not obscene), even if they haven't checked all lyrics for
profane language.

So this is actually a "loosening up" of our policy for automation music, not
adding more censorship.

--Gary