[rfu-automation] Re: D'oh!

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 23 10:07:44 CDT 2006

Joe:

 So there are really four tiers that we're talking about here.

> 1. Unchecked: starts on the safe-harbor playlist
> 2. Completely unplayable: is removed from the automation computer as soon
> as we discover it
> 3. Indecent/profane: kept on the safe-harbor list and safeguarded in our
> procedures from being played at any other time
> 4. Safe: copied from the safe-harbor playlist to the safe playlist

So we would play only  no. 4 between 6 am and 10 pm and play nos. 1, 3 and 4
during safe-harbor hours. I wouldn't want to exclude Safe music during
safe-harbor hours.

We would then need to add descriptors after the album and/or  track titles
on iTunes so we could easily create the two ZaraRadio playlists using labels
such as "clean," "explicit" and "unchecked." (there would be no use for an
"obscene" label as these tracks would be deleted as soon as discovered to be
obscene--actually people should know enough about the music and artist so as
not to put such music on the system in the first place).

   - If the label applied to every track in an album, the label could be
   added to the album title (this is visible in the ZaraRadio explorer
   windows).
   - If the label applied to some tracks and not others on an album, no
   label would be put on the album title and an appropriate label would be
   added to each sont track.

If all this is acceptable, then we have to figure out who is going to do
this work. I am willing to show people how to do this, but I am not going to
be listening to and labeling albums and tracks myself.

--Gary

P.S. I am still testing out the ability of getting ZaraRadio to
automatically switch from one playlist to another at the right time. So far
it looks posssible, but need to test a bit more.