[rfu-automation] Re: D'oh!

Gary Cziko g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 23 10:52:14 CDT 2006

Lynsee:

I would prefer explicit labels, as someone not knowing or observing such a
convention involving upper- and lower-case letters could lead to errors.

We could go with just two labels as used on iTunes: "clean" and "explicit"
as anything without a label would be obviously unchecked while obscene is
not put on the computer in the first place or removed immediately if
discovered.

--Gary

On 6/23/06, Lynsee Melchi <lynseemelchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I liked Jenn's suggestion of putting a certain type of album/artist in
> all capital letters.  For example:
>
> Lynsee's Band (local)
> with the albums HOME ON THE STRANGE
>                        Doggy Dog
>
> HOME ON THE STRANGE is not checked or explicit
> Doggy Dogg is safe.
>
> Or something like that.
>
> Lynsee
>
> On 6/23/06, Gary Cziko <g-cziko at uiuc.edu> wrote:
> > Joe:
> >

> > >  So there are really four tiers that we're talking about here.
> > >

> > > 1. Unchecked: starts on the safe-harbor playlist
> > > 2. Completely unplayable: is removed from the automation computer as
> soon
> > as we discover it
> > > 3. Indecent/profane: kept on the safe-harbor list and safeguarded in
> our
> > procedures from being played at any other time
> > > 4. Safe: copied from the safe-harbor playlist to the safe playlist
> >

> > So we would play only  no. 4 between 6 am and 10 pm and play nos. 1, 3
> and 4
> > during safe-harbor hours. I wouldn't want to exclude Safe music during
> > safe-harbor hours.
> >
> > We would then need to add descriptors after the album and/or  track
> titles
> > on iTunes so we could easily create the two ZaraRadio playlists using
> labels
> > such as "clean," "explicit" and "unchecked." (there would be no use for
> an
> > "obscene" label as these tracks would be deleted as soon as discovered
> to be
> > obscene--actually people should know enough about the music and artist
> so as
> > not to put such music on the system in the first place).
> >

> > If the label applied to every track in an album, the label could be
> added to
> > the album title (this is visible in the ZaraRadio explorer windows).
> > If the label applied to some tracks and not others on an album, no label
> > would be put on the album title and an appropriate label would be added
> > each sont track. If all this is acceptable, then we have to figure out
> who
> > is going to do this work. I am willing to show people how to do this,
> but I
> > am not going to be listening to and labeling albums and tracks myself.
> >
> >  --Gary
> >
> > P.S. I am still testing out the ability of getting ZaraRadio to
> > automatically switch from one playlist to another at the right time. So
> far
> > it looks posssible, but need to test a bit more.
> >

> --
> Tune in to More Fire! on Radio Free Urbana 104.5FM.  More Fire! is a
> crazy music extravaganza on Monday nights 11pm-1am (or later).  Check
> us out online at: www.wrfu.net.
>
>           ***************************************************
> [...]

Gary Cziko
Professor
Educational Psychology & English as an International Language
University of Illinois
1310 S. Sixth Street
210F Education Building
Champaign, IL 61820-6990
USA

Telephone +1-217-333-8527
Fax: +1-217-244-7620
e-mail: g-cziko at uiuc.edu
Web: http://garycziko.net
Skype: garyjazz (http://www.skype.com)
Google Talk: gcziko
Amateur Radio: N9MJZ (IRLP 4280; EchoLink 8231);

Founder, Station Manager, Program Director, Chief Engineer and Announcer
The Latino Radio Service of La Casa Cultural Latina
1660 AM on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois
(http://latinoradioservice.org)

Founder and Major Contributor
ATALL Wikibook for
Autonomous Technology-Assisted Language Learning
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/ATALL)