[rfu-automation] Re: D'oh!

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Fri Jun 23 17:59:11 CDT 2006

I concur with some sort of labeling. But Gary I'm not sure which kind
of labeling in iTunes you're talking about. There are a bunch of
different ways we could do it, here are some as examples:

1. We could use the "grouping" field and use a code indicating
whether something is unchecked, safe-harbor-only, or safe.
2. We could use the "genre" field for the same purpose (advantage:
you can browse by genre; disadvantage: there's only one genre per
track so this would destroy existing genre information on tracks, FWIW)
3. We could modify the title and put some indication in the title.
(advantage: if Zara or any other component in the automation system
reports or logs the track names we will know exactly when what kind
of music is played; disadvantage: it's hard to sort on, unless you
put the code before the title).
4. We could create three playlists in iTunes, one for each category
(advantage: we can put a track in more than one category;
disadvantage: there's no way to tell given only the file  which
playlist it's in)

I don't really like any of these options, but thinking about them in
the context of all our recent discussions it seems to me the safest
strategy is to modify the title--like Jenn suggested but not using
caps. Here's what I would propose. If I have the following CD:

artist: Joe's Risque Lounge Act
album: Steppin' Over the Line
track 1: The Parental Advisory Tango
track 2: Butterflies and Unicorns

lack of notation on the titles means the tracks are unchecked. Now we
check them and find out track 1's safe-harbor only, but track 2 is
safe, so it's indicated this way:

artist: Joe's Risque Lounge Act
album: [explicit] Steppin' Over the Line
track 1: [explicit] The Parent Advisory Tango
track 2: [clean] Butterflies and Unicorns

what I'm proposing is twofold:

1. we put the code *first*, so when we sort any playlist by title
it'll be sorted into the three categories.
2. we label an album "explicit" if any track on it is explicit

The downside of putting the codes first is that the titles are gonna
look pretty ugly. But it would certainly call lots of attention to
the status of each track to anyone casually looking at a playlist or
album in iTunes, and even if all someone could see was the title of
the track they would be able to tell its status. We could also
analyze Zara logs and determine when what kind of music is playing,
what percentage of it is checked/unchecked, etc.

--
Joe Futrelle
Person