[rfu-membership] Next Meeting?

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 22 09:37:45 CDT 2007

Hi Lavana,
You know only a little less than I did when I started RFU, so I'm sure
your skill set will serve us well. Others are probably similarly
located, except Noel, who actually has consierable radio experience at
another station.

That said, it's really up to everyone  but me to determine what the best
approach to better organizing the station is. The starting place is our
station structure documents at:
http://www.radiofreeurbana.org/about

These can be changed, but they also represent a lot of effort, including
lots of advice from people who've worked at WEFT. So consider them
carefully and decide what's best to try.

As for holding people accountable for attending meetings, we have been
regularly keeping meeting attendance sheets. I'd suggest taking the ones
from this year only to determine which groups have not had at least one
member attending at least one meeting a month of any type. Since most of
the working groups have not been meeting regularly, for the most part
this means the general membership meetings that are held twice a month.
Those groups need to be issued a warning about this. Keep track of
attendance regularly through the end of the year, then those groups with
less than 50% attendance should have their shows terminated.

The objective is to get people working by coming to meetings and to make
the working groups work, too. Part of the problem is that what the
working groups should be doing usually needs up being discussed in the
general meeting. This leads to endless discussion and lack of progress.
Well-formed proposals should come from the working groups, where those
really interested in the topic can have these discussions. That way it
more a matter of approving in the general meeting, than spending lots of
time talking in it.

These are all just suggestions, of course. As I noted in my earlier
emails, it's time that the membership take up this work. I'm here to
give advice, but the final decision will be up to y'all.

As for meeting times, most any of those will work for me, so I'll wait
to hear what works best for the others who've expressed interest in
helping with this project. I tend to favor meetings on weekday evenings.
A meeting right before the general membership meeting is most likely to
draw more people in as we get people active, but if a committed group
wants to work on things, other times are just as good if that is what
works for them.
Mike Lehman