[Rfu-station] Audio equipment appropriation

Andrew Ó Baoill andrew at funferal.org
Sat May 16 16:58:50 CDT 2009

At today's WRFU meeting we discussed the proposal from the Finance
Working Group to appropriate the WRFU-Radio News fund to pay for the
credit card debt recently paid out of general funds. I think it is
fair to say that there was concern with the process that has been
followed (both with the original purchase and the attempts to correct
the matter), but also a general commitment to reach a reasonable and
appropriate solution.

We were unable to come to a final decision, but were able to reach
consensus on two items:

1 To ask for a detailed list of the actual equipment purchased and
involved in this issue. (This should also include the total cost
involved, and if possible the cost of each individual item.) This will
aid us in making an informed decision.

2 We reached agreement on a 'roadmap' - an outline of a decision we
hope to be able to reach at our next meeting. The group was well
disposed to agreeing to the Finance Group request, subject to a number
of factors:
a That the equipment be available to WRFU members. We understand that
most of it is currently under the stewardship of the Production Group.
We are not looking to take the equipment from Production - just to
make sure that WRFU members have access (now and in the future), and
that the process for gaining use is documented so we can let all our
members know what's available and how to access it.
b That processes be put in place to ensure that this does not happen
again. Mike's proposal that in the future any individual who incurs
such a charge will be personally liable was mentioned as appropriate.
It was noted that Finance has got rid of the credit card and replaced
it with a process where a check is cut for such payments. This should
also help. Documentation and reporting of Finance meetings will help.
c That we get an accounting of the funds currently in the Radio News
account, and that no more be appropriated from WRFU than the amount in
this account. If there is a surplus in the account, this will be
retained by WRFU.

While we need some more information before making a final decision on
this matter, I'm confident that we will be able to reach consensus on
a generally acceptable solution by the time of our next meeting.

Andrew

p.s. I'm copying this to the Finance and Production lists, as the
bodies (other than WRFU) most directly involved in this matter. As
you'll note, some input from each group will be needed in order to
reach a final resolution.