[Trees-executive] (no subject)

j-beauch at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu j-beauch at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 18 14:11:11 CDT 2001

Dear IPCUTSOT ExCom Folks,

This is my last email to this list.

First, I want to apologize for crossing the line and mentioning
something related to lobbying. I knew this was a taboo for public
discourse, but I didn't realize that we couldn't discuss it within
the privacy of our committee. Now that I know, I must say that for
me, this is an intolerable situation. I feel that in view of 1776,
lobbying is the logical next step, and it's too bad that this group
is prevented from participating in that democratic process. But more
than that, we can't even discuss doing it as indivduals. To me, this
is a severe repression of our fundamental right of free speech. But
the law is the law, so so-be-it.

Therefore, I am now tendering my resignation from the ExCom effective
immediately. Besides the speech repression thing, I have many other
irons-in-the-fire that I've been neglecting, my academic research, my
home, my family, Sierra Club, etc., that I need to spend more time on.

By the way, Sierra Club has no such restriction on lobbying, so there
is a chance our local group may take on this task. The state chapter
may also want to get involved. If there is some way we could cooperate,
that would be good.

It was great working with all of you during the past three months.
We accomplished a lot; in fact, we achieved our primary goal!

Best regards,

Jim Beauchamp