[Vip-healthneeds] ways to get involved

tkim10 at uiuc.edu tkim10 at uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 10 13:27:51 CST 2006

Hey guys!
  I hope everyone is having an awesome week.  Again, I want to
thank everyone that came out to Muscular Dystrophy
Association's Shamrocks Against Dystrophy last week.  You all
did such a terrific job!
Here are some other great ways to get more involved:

1. CU Special Recreation (working with individuals with
disabilities)
a) BOCCE BALL (march 14-May 9)
Volunteers are needed on tuesdays (this is a weekly
commitment) to help out with Bocce Ball, which is similar to
Italian lawn bowling.  Volunteering will take place at
Centennial Park on Kirby Avenue in Champaign.

b) STRIKES AND SPARES BOWLING (asap-april10 or 12)
Volunteers are needed on mondays and wednesdays (this again is
a weekly commitment) from 4-515 at Western Bowln on 917
Francis Drive in Champaign.

c) Teen Time
Volunteers are needed for this afterschool program which deals
with working w/ kids from ages 13-21 at Springer Cultural
Center on 301 N. Randolph, Champaign.

d) Project DIRT
Volunteers are needed to help out w/ kids ages 5-12 at the
Spalding Rec Center on 910 N. Harris, Champaign.
If you are interested in any of these contact Kathy Stienber
at kathy.stiebner at cparkdistrict.com.  Also, send me an e-mail
to let me know how many hours a week you are commiting to
them.  You must set up an orientation time w/ Kathy before you
can start volunteering.

2. Carle Hospice
For those of you who really want to volunteer at a hospital,
this is a great opportunity.  Carle Hospice promotes the
belief that hospice care affirms life, works to provide care
in a homelike atmosphere of support and acceptance, fosters an
interdisciplinary team approach to manage pain and other
distressing symptons, strives to address emtional and
spiritual needs of the patient and family both during the
illness and subsequest survivor bereavement.  This program is
starting VERY SOON so contact Peggy Deffenbaugh at (217)
383-3151 or e-mail her at peggy.deffenbaugh at carle.com
Contact her the first chance you get, and also again send me
out an e-mail w/ the hours you are commiting.

3. Swann Special Care Center (March 11, 2006)
For those of you who have not yet volunteered with VIP-health
needs, and are not interested in volunteering on a weekly
basis, this is a great chance to come out and meet other
people in VIP at a one time group event.  The details have not yet
been fully worked out, but if you are interested let me know.
   Swann Special Care Center is a home for children with
profound disabilities.  Most of the kids do not get many
visitors, so any time that you can give up will make such a
big impact!

4. Update on Daffodil Days
The place on campus where we were supposed to volunteer is no
longer participating in American Cancer Society's Daffodil
Days.  As soon as I know the new location, I will send out the
info.  Please let me know if you still want to work a one hour
shift (or more!) between 630a.m.-630p.m. on Feb. 22.

5. Crisis Nursery
Volunteers are needed to commit to 2 hrs/week for an entire
semester.  Prior to volunteer, you must attend an orientation
day.  Upcoming orientation days are Wed. Feb. 15 at 330 and
Thurs Feb. 23 at 300.  I will be attending the thurs
orientation, and if anyone else is interested in getting
involved let me know and we can set up rides.  Otherwise,
contact Kim Gollings at 217-337-3731 or e-mail
kim at crisisnursery.net to let her know you're interested in
attending the orientation.

Ok guys, have an awesome weekend!  Feel free to e-mail me any
questions or concerns!

Theresa
Volunteer Illini Projects
Health Needs Director