[Vip-healthneeds] reminders for this week

tkim10 at uiuc.edu tkim10 at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 23 22:10:11 CST 2006

Hey everyone!
  Just wanted to send out some reminders for this week:
1. Orientation Nights
Orientation Nights is a great way to get to know what type of
volunteer opportunities agencies are having.  We'll also be
discussing any ideas you guys might have for cool events or
just any ideas you want to see happen in VIP-HN.  Most
importantly, I have tons of candy and some cool icebreakers
planned! :)
- Wednesday, February 1 at 5pm in 388 Lincoln
- Thursday, February 2 at 5pm in 314 Lincoln

2. Carle Hospital
The MANDATORY orientation date for those of you who handed in
your applications by last Friday is THIS UPCOMING Wednesday
night.

3. Coordinator applications
They are due this Wednesday by 5 p.m. at the VIP Office.  If
you didn't get the e-mail w/ the application let me know, and
I'll send you one.  This is a great way to really get involved
in the organization and gain some great experience as a leader.

4. Shamrocks Against Dystrophy
MDA still needs our help assembling those kits.  Tentatively
next Saturday (February 4) at 11 a.m.  Again, it will be about
2-2.5 hours long.  All funds go to muscular dystrophy
research.  Last week everyone who came out got free orange
juice, donuts, and an awesome MDA thermal mug!  If you are
interested in attending, send me your address and a phone
number where I can reach you.  I want to say a special thanks
to all those who came out last week.  Thank you for working so
hard!

5. CU Special Recreation needs volunteers!
A lot of you have e-mailed me asking about what weekly
volunteer opportunities there are.  CU-Special Rec is looking
for volunteers to help out with TEEN TIME (you'll be working
w/ disabled kids of ages 13-21) or PROJECT DIRT (ages 5-12).
These are 230-530 mon-fri.  If you want to find out more or
are ready to get involved right now contact Kathy Stiebner at
Kathy.stiebner at cparkdistrict.com.  A special note, if you want
to volunteer you have to set up a time to meet w/ Kathy before
you do.  In the past, we've had problems where volunteers just
show up.  Make sure you e-mail her and meet w/ her first.
Everyone I've talked to who has volunteered w/ CU-Special Rec
has told me that it changed their life.  It's an awesome
program so jump in!