[Bikecoop-announce] The Bike Project - News and Events in June

Anthony Cherolis acherolis at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 21:47:52 CDT 2008

*Braking Bicycle News*

   - This weekend is the Taste of Champaign, and volunteers are needed to
   help staff the bike corral.  See signup and details below.
   - The Urbana Farmer's Market is upon us (Saturdays at Lincoln Square) and
   TBP will be staffing a table on several Saturdays - VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR
   STAFFING.  These are the days we need help -July 26th, Sept 6th, & Oct
   4th.  Please help out the bike project and bike advocacy in general by
   volunteering your time.
   - The Bike Project now has a relationship with a wholesaler.  You may
   have noticed the "new" bike parts in the coop.  These were purchased out of
   the coop funds (your funds) and have prices marked on the packaging.  There
   is a non-member and member price (noted with an 'M').  If you have questions
   about pricing on new parts, ask a staff member.  The type and quantity of
   parts is limited - as the coop is not a full service bike shop.
   - *Shop etiquette tip:* Clean up after yourself.  The co-op is a shared
   space.  When you take a tool off the board or workbench, note the location.
   When you are done, put it back.  A good rule of thumb is to put back one
   more thing than you used yourself.  This will minimize "lost" tools and keep
   the shop clean and safe.  If you see someone else leaving a mess, call them
   on it.

*TBP Summer Hours* - Sun 2–5PM / Thurs 6-9PM / Wed 6:30-8:30PM - Members
that would like to learn (or share) bike maintenance skills and help
theco-op as staff volunteers, should send an email to
thebikeproject at gmail.com.  There are great benefits for TBP staffers such as
discounts on new parts, ability to get an IMC building key without an IMC
membership, and premium access to the used bikes.
**
*Calendar Events* -

 *1) Bike Parking (Corral) at The Taste of Champaign, June 20th-22nd - This
Weekend - Volunteers Needed!*

   - Here is a link to the schedule sheet for Taste of Champaign.  Please
   take a look at it now, find a time you can work, and sign up. You'll get a
   free drink ticket for your effort.
   http://08TasteBikeCorral.notlong.com<http://08tastebikecorral.notlong.com/>
   - All you have to do is be there in the shade of a tent and chat with
   folks about bike riding. Something you love to do anyway! We'll have
   handouts with information if folks are interested. If the folks you talk to
   rode their bike to Taste you give them a free drink ticket.  It's that
   easy!
   - *For more Info or Scheduling Questions Contact:* Jody
Tissier-Groff <jody.tissier at mail.cparkdistrict.com>
   (217) 398-255, Champaign Park District

*2)* *The Bike Project* *June General Meeting (Sunday June 22nd, 5-6PM at
The Bike Project)*

   - All interested parties are invited.  Even though most of the students
   are gone, we're still busy ($4 gas does amazing things) and need your help!
   - If you want to get more involved or learn more about TBP - this
is theplace to start.
   - We'll be talking about fixing up kids bikes for Safe Routes to School,
   improving the organization of the shop, figuring out sales taxes, and much,
   much more.
   - If you have agenda items, please edit the agenda located at:
   thebikeproject.org/wiki.

*3)* *Working on kids bikes for donation to Safe Routes to School (SRTS),
Saturday June 28th @ The Bike Project*

   - Originally this was going to be on the 21st, but there was a conflict
   with the Taste of Champaign (See #1).  Pushed the date out to *Saturday,
   June 28th* from 12-5PM.
   - We will be working on kids bikes and tuning them up for donation to
   Urbana's King elementary.  Also need to supply some bikes to the SRTS bike
   rodeos.
   - Childrens' bike donations are also welcome - for those looking to make
   some space in their garage.
   - We will have food and drinks available after the event for volunteers.
   - Contact Tony Cherolis (acherolis at gmail.com) if you will be able to
   help.

*4) Urbana Farmer's Market - Next Bike Project Volunteer Date - Saturday,
July 26th from 8AM-12 - Volunteers Needed*

   - Bicycle Information Table every Saturday. 2 shifts, 8-10, 10-12 noon
   - *Contact:* Charlie Smyth, csmyth at sbcglobal.net - for scheduling and
   more info.
   - Give back by making a volunteer contribution to bike advocacy.  No
   experience necessary.  Literature is on the table.  Just stand there and
   smile.
   - This is how a lot of people find out about The Bike Project.  Its also
   a way for folks new to the area and / or new to bicycling to get a lot of
   useful information.

*Tony Cherolis*
*The Bike Project*
**
*Located at:* 202 S. Broadway in the Basement of the UCIMC Building (old
Urbana Post Office Depot).  Access the space via the back stairwell in thealley.