[Bikecoop-announce] free bike light giveaway, Oct 27, volunteers needed

Barry Isralewitz barryi at ks.uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 24 21:27:56 CDT 2008

Hello,

   Want to help install 800 lights this coming Monday (Oct. 27)?
Great!  Sign up at http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/light-giveaway

    For those who want a little more information before rushing to sign
up:

   This past Monday (Oct. 20) was the first of two nights of "Light Up
the Night" free bike light mass distribution.
  Things went great, we installed over 800 lights. See photos at these links:
http://thebikeproject.org/pics/Light_Up_The_Night_October_2008/
http://picasaweb.google.com/RICKLANGLOIS/LightTheNight#
  Also, see many _more_ details below (bottom third of this email).

  But first: help us do it again!

  Wanted: VOLUNTEERS  for light giveaway
  Date: Monday, Oct. 27, 2008
  1) Choose either two-hour shift:
        4:30 pm -- 6:30 pm
          or
        6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.
  2) Choose either location:
      Site 1: Illinois and Lincoln, UIUC campus (Urbana)
      Site 2: Gregory Dr. & Fourth St., UIUC Campus (Champaign)
    (giveaways run 4:30 pm -- 8:30 pm at both locations)

  3)  Sign up at:
  http://thebikeproject.wikispaces.com/light-giveaway

     then...
   Go install lights! We'll be installing front and rear lights, and occasional missing
reflectors, and throw in a little educating local riders about bike
safety.

       "Light Up the Night" Mass Light Giveaway Night 2
        Mon, Oct 27, 2008; 4:30 pm -- 8:30 pm
           Locations:
              Illinois and Lincoln, UIUC campus (Urbana)
              Gregory Dr. and Fourth St., UIUC campus (Champaign)

  There will be a volunteer training workshop (encouraged):
        Monday, Oct. 27, 3:30 pm - 4:15 pm
           corner of  Illinois and Lincoln, UIUC
           (right before the giveaway starts)

  Spread the word: If you know someone who rides their bike at night,
but who doesn't have front and rear lights, tell 'em to bike over at the
times/locations above.  Remember, lights will only be installed directly
onto bicycles -- no bike, no lights.

      Hope to see you there!

=================================
 _More details_ about Monday, Oct. 20. 2008 "Light Up the Night" light
giveaway (Mass light distribution, night 1)
================
  On Monday, Oct. 20, 425 safety light sets ( 850 lights: front white
LED/rear red LED ) were given away free to 425 local cyclists who
happened to bike by, or had heard about, the event. Lights were
installed directly onto each bicycle by event volunteers, only people
who arrived with a bike could receive a light set.  A booklet with
information on light use/care, bike safety tips, and local bike
resources was provided, as were copies of the recently released local
biking map.  Missing rear reflectors were also replaced.
 In total, after installs for local schoolchildren and University police
street stops, over 1000 light sets (2000 lights) will be installed by
the Light Up The Night program.
http://thebikeproject.org/pics/Light_Up_The_Night_October_2008/slides/DSC08801.html

 On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:58:04PM -0500, Cynthia Hoyle wrote:
> Great work everyone!  We had a very successful event last night.  We
> installed between 400-425 bike light sets.  The cyclists were so
> grateful for the light sets.  We had  25  volunteers working over the
> course of the evening.  Even with all these volunteers we had a line
> of cyclists waiting the entire evening and toward the end the officers
> had to tell people we were running out of light set and the event was
> shutting down.

  Come on Mon. Oct 27, to help things go this well again... or even better!
=================================

----
"Light up the Night", a Campus Area Transportation Study safety
campaign, involves funding, planning, and assistance from City of
Urbana, City of Champaign, CU-MTD, and the University of Illinois.
Planning, logisitics, and additional support from the Bike Project of
Urbana-Champaign.
----

                  Cheers,

                  Barry

--
Barry Isralewitz, Ph. D.
Theoretical and Computational Biophysics Group,