[Bikecoop-announce] Bike Project: Personal Bike Policy Change; Holiday Closings

Phil Graff pmgraff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 03:39:38 UTC 2012

*Personal Bike Policy Change*

Hello all,

At our last members' meeting, we voted to modify our policy on personal
bikes in the IMC shop space (personal bikes are those that are personal
property of a member).

The old policy read as follows:
"Leaving your things in Co-op: tag/label anything you own, but don't want
to be sold/scrapped, with your name and the full date . Attach " NOT FOR
SALE " tags to your bikes, wheels, and large parts. Leave contact
information -- your phone number or email address -- on any personal bike
or build-a-bike project so you can be contacted in case of any confusion.
Please limit storage of bikes to no more than two weeks unless you are
actively working on the bike and please update your tag. Personal bikes
left in the Co-op for long periods of time maybe scrapped or sold, although
we will make an attempt to contact the owners before doing so."

The updated policy reads:
"Leaving your things in Co-op: tag/label anything you own, but don't want
to be sold/scrapped, with your name and the full date. Attach "NOT FOR
SALE" tags to your bikes, wheels, and large parts. Leave contact
information -- your phone number or email address -- on any personal bike
or build-a-bike project so you can be contacted in case of any confusion.
Limit storage of bikes to no more than two weeks, unless you are actively
working on the bike and updating your tag. *Personal bikes left in the
Co-op for more than two weeks (14 days) will be considered donations, and
will be scrapped or sold.*"

The intent of our original policy was to allow for personal bikes that had
a complex repair spanning more than one open session.  Our lenience in this
policy has been abused by those using our shop space for long-term
storage.  From now on, at the IMC shop we will allow bikes to be stored up
to two weeks, but if they are still in the shop after 14 days, they will be
considered donations.

We have made a list of personal bikes in the IMC space, and will attempt to
contact the owners with the contact information on the tag (if legibly
written).  *If you have personal bikes in the IMC shop, please come by to
remove them by Tuesday, December 4th*.

*Holiday closings*
The Campus Bicycle Shop location will be closed the week of Thanksgiving
(Nov 19-23).  The IMC will be closed on Thanksgiving day.

Thanks,
Phil
Volunteer, The Bike Project
www.thebikeproject.org