[Bookstoprisoners] sorting fiction

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:43:10 CST 2005

Hi Sandra,

>From: "Sandra Ahten" <spiritofsandra at hotmail.com>
>To: bookstoprisoners at lists.chambana.net
>Subject: [Bookstoprisoners] sorting fiction
>Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 18:32:40 +0000
>
>Chris and I are at a loss. We need input
>
>Fiction:
>Romance
>Western / Historical

The Country Jail library needs more western/historical fiction.  Louis
L'Amour is a popular author for westerns....

>Classics
>Sci/ Fi (I just judge that by if there is an alien looking creature or a
>woman in a scaly costume with big breast. Any other hints?)
>
>These we think we understand.
>
>Then there is..
>horror/thriller
>mystery
>
>Can these go together? If not... someone else is going to have to
>sort...because we can't tell them apart. Though I know Ann Rice and Tom
>Clancy are different...one has supernatural stuff and one doesn't... there
>is really no easy way to know that by looking at the book... is there?

Horror/thriller and mystery can go together.  It's too hard to draw a line
between them.

>All the rest goes in Contemporary Fiction.
>
>Are these being all kept seperate at the County Jail. Does a librarian
>reshelf the books being returned? I'm trying to get boxes ready now for the
>satellite jail. Do we want to mark (color code) them/ put the alpha sticker
>on them before they go over?

These categories are being kept separate at the County Jail.  The librarian
does indeed reshelve the books that are returned.  Color coding them by
category would be an EXCELLENT idea and make the job of reshelving much
easier.  Also, if you could get a rubber stamp that says "Champaign County
Jail Library" and stamp inside the front cover of each book, that would also
be useful.  It would help serve as a reminder to the inmates to return the
books, and if books turn up after an inmate leaves, we'll be able to know
which ones belong to the library.

--Phil