[cgfc] CGFC's Weekly Bytes, Vol.1, #13

Lisa BK lisabk at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 15:03:48 CST 2005

GREETINGS!

Welcome to Common Ground Food Co-op's weekly (for now) e-newsletter! You're
getting this missive because you're a member of Common Ground who's also
signed up to be on the CGFC mailing list. If you aren't interested in
receiving these updates, please email commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com.

Every week, via this transmission, members are provided with store
updates/news, links to relevant news items/political actions, and other bits
and pieces worthy of mention. If you have anything of a similar bent you
think members should know about, please email links to
commongroundfoodcoop at gmail.com. Thanks!

STORE/LOCAL NEWS:

****CGFC IS NOW HIRING!
The Co-op is now hiring for several positions in grocery, produce, and
management . Please go to this page on the website to download a flyer and
application if you (or someone you know) might be interested:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/hiring.html

****MANY THANKS!
If you've been in the store since November 1st, you've filled out an orange
membership card at checkout and received a smaller version for your wallet.
If you haven't been in the store recently, we'll be asking you to fill one
out. It's the easiest way for us to update our membership database in our
new Point Of Sale (POS) system, which means that it'll be easier for us to
do better with member services like special orders, newsletters, getting
information out about General Membership Meetings, etc. We appreciate
members taking the time to fill out the card - we promise you'll be reaping
the benfits soon!

****GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING ALERT!
The next GMM will be happening Sunday, November 20 in Wisegarver Hall in the
IDF building. Exact time is TBA, so watch this space, but mark that date on
your calendar! Your input is what keeps CGFC moving forward.

****SURVEY SAYS!
Come on in and fill out the CGFC member survey! CGFC has coordinated with a
UIUC student to create a member survey that'll help us serve your needs
better and find out more about you (not for nefarious purposes, of course -
your info is safe with us). Surveys are at the (brand spankin' new) checkout
counter in the store and can be dropped in the box on the "media table" to
the left of the freezer through Sunday, November 6. Thanks for your input!

****FALL ISSUE of FROM THE GROUND UP IS NOW OUT!
The Co-op's printed newsletter is out in its analog form. Come by the store
and pick one up! If you want the digital copy instead, download a PDF copy
on our website:

http://www.commongroundcoop.org/NewsFall05.pdf

****BIG. SMALL. ALL.

""big. small. all." is a project to bring all the people of Champaign
County together to build a vision of our future. The project was initiated
by a host of Champaign County citizens, as well as leaders from the
business community, not-for-profit organizations, and government.

There's a seat at the table for everyone - big institutions, small
businesses, organizations of every kind, cities, villages, and the
countryside. There's room for all voices from every occupation and folks
of every age, status, and heritage. Whether you live in the heart of the
city or in the middle of America's richest farmland, we want your thoughts
on building the best possible community that, together, we can imagine.

Join your neighbors in a bold initiative to envision a new future for our
community."

Lots more information here:

http://www.bigsmallall.cc/

IMPORTANT STUFF:

****ORGANIC, OR JUST KINDA?
"As organic food enters the mainstream, evolving from an idealistic
subculture rooted in images of granola and Birkenstocks, a bitter debate has
ensued over what exactly the word 'organic' should mean. And now Congress is
jumping into the controversy.

With sales of roughly $12 billion, organic food remains a niche market
within the $500 billion food industry. But the sector's growing appeal to
consumers has fueled a 20 percent annual growth rate in recent years, making
it highly attractive to food giants looking for gains in a slow-moving
business.

At General Mills, the Cascadian Farms and Muir Glen brands increased sales
by 21 percent in the last year, according to the research firm Information
Resources Inc., while the company's overall business was up just 1.6percent.

Consumer groups and some organic pioneers say they are concerned that the
movement - a response to the practices of corporate food production that
promotes a natural chemical-free approach to farming - will become watered
down unless firm standards are maintained.

The debate has been under way for several years. But last week, Senate and
House Republicans on the Agriculture appropriations subcommittee inserted a
last-minute provision into the department's fiscal 2006 budget specifying
that certain artificial ingredients could be used in organic food."

The rest of this rather terrifying article can be found here (registration
required):

*http://tinyurl.com/bbzoh*

BOOKMARK FODDER:

****Excellent chart documenting the tentacled nature of corporate organic
food (updated in June 2005) - does anyone want to make a poster for the
store?):

http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rcbtoa/services/corporate-ownership.html
 <http://www.alimentumjournal.com/>
****I found this discussion (on a political weblog) about making the switch
from conventional to organic food fascinating:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/29/164948/90
 <http://growseed.org/>
****There's a campaign to ban trans fats! More information here:

http://www.bantransfats.com/

Please feel free to forward these links to people you think might benefit
from such knowledge.
Thanks and look for #14 same time (more or less) next week!

::compiled by Outreach Co-coordinator Lisa Bralts-Kelly::