[Commotion-dev] Commotion-OpenWRT on dragino

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Mon Dec 17 18:52:17 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

The Dragino M12, if that is what you have, is an Atheros AR2317 based
device, which should load the 'atheros' target firmware images for
Commotion.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/dragino/ms12

I have compiled Commotion-OpenWRT fine for atheros target, and I've checked
in the .config file(s) I used to the repo here:
https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/repository/show?rev=ath5kMinimal

I also have pre-compiled atheros images & config you could try here:
http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/atheros.config.20120627
http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/atheros-ar2315.minimal.config
http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/bin/atheros/
http://info.gowasabi.net/commotion-openwrt/openwrt/bin/atheros-ar2315-minimal/

Note these images have a pre-set root password r0ot56c0MM0t10N .

Follow-up question: how much RAM does your Dragino have?  The 16MB version
would have a hard time running anything besides stripped-down Commotion,
but it looks like a 32MB version is available too.

The 'minimal' config files referenced above were my attempts to compile
Commotion to fit within 16MB RAM.  Images compiled with this config will
mesh and broadcast APs, but they are missing the luci web UI and the splash
page.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Paul Gardner-Stephen <
paul at servalproject.org> wrote:

> This is good to know, as we can look into merging our Mesh Helper work
> (currently on OpenWRT Dragino/Dragrove boxes) with the Commotion
> OpenWRT work, so that we have servald all set and easy to incorporate
> into Commotion on OpenWRT when desired.
>
> Will need to dust off my OpenWRT configuration knowledge to get
> Commotion building on the Draginos ...
>
> Paul.
>
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Andrew Reynolds
> <andrew at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
> > The github repo is actually just a front end to the repo at
> > code.commotionwireless.net. Either will work.
> >
> > -andrew
> >
> > On 12/17/2012 11:59 AM, Ben West wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have an updated OpenWRT .config file for x86 and some patches for
> >> ath9k_htc driver.  Where does one make commits to git repos now?
> >>
> >> Here (which has been dormant since September)?
> >>
> https://code.commotionwireless.net/projects/commotion-openwrt/repository
> >>
> >> Or here (which has also been dormant since September)?
> >> https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-openwrt
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net