[Commotion-dev] Community Wireless resources - what to do?

Benjamin Chodoroff ben at theworkdept.com
Fri Jul 27 15:35:44 UTC 2012

Hi commotioners,

Over here at the workdept, we're busy working on the knowledgebase
website - commotion's future home on the internet.

One of the features that the commotion community had in mind early on in
the planning process was to provide a general informational wiki-style
thing to keep track of community wireless and free software mesh
networking technology... not specifically limited to commotion, but
related in that commotion is one part of this larger ecosystem.

I'm excited to build this resource, mostly because i've wanted to share
my own notes and haven't had a place to do so. I think a lot of other
people are in the same boat.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this part of the project,
let's talk about it.

A quick list of things that I think are important:

* while the rest of the commotion site will be related to the commotion
project, this "community wireless resources" section will contain
information related to core technologies and projects
* we should talk about the name -- i prefer "community wireless" or
"community internet" since we might end up sharing information about
non-mesh or non-wireless tech
* i'd like to encourage people involved in other (potentially
similar-to-commotion) projects to participate in building this resources
section -- let's start developing a list of groups we should
specifically invite to talk about their project or provide info.
* the most exciting part of this resource section, to me, will be some
sort of list of prominent community networks -- this is the info that
i've had the hardest time finding on the web!

ok, enough from me for now!

-b&