[Commotion-dev] Open Source RF Board Myriad-RF

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 03:55:01 UTC 2013

Sorry for bringing up an old topic, I've just found it.

I've actually initiated LimeMicro open-source efforts while developing
our UmTRX and I gave them an idea of MyriadRF, so I decided to
comment:

 1. MyriadRF can't really be compared to HackRF, because MyriadRF is
basically a dev.board and needs a carrier board to communicate to a
computer. HackRF is a finished product which you just need to plug
into a PC.
 2. UmTRX and BladeRF are built using the same chip as MyriadRF.
 3. HackRF is half-duplex. MyriadRF, UmTRX and BladeRF are full-duplex.

There are other differences, but the ones above are most important to
understand.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 1:14 AM, Dan Staples
<danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:
> Very interesting. It's good to see more efforts for open source hardware SDR
> kits. I wonder how it will compare to Michael Ossmann's HackRF:
> http://ossmann.blogspot.com/2012/06/introducing-hackrf.html. Myriad-RF
> appears to support a smaller frequency range, but the price looks pretty
> good for something so versatile.
>

> On 03/09/2013 03:14 PM, Ben West wrote:
>

> Found this yesterday in the EE Times weekly headlines:
>
> RF board takes Arduino-like approach
>
> LONDON – Lime Microsystems Ltd., a developer of configurable multi-band
> radio transceiver ICs, has launched an open-source RF hardware project that
> it says is intended to further innovation in wireless systems. The
> non-profit initiative has been launched under the name Myriad-RF with its
> own website and includes pre-made RF boards with editable design files that
> developers can freely download and use in their own designs.

> Right now Myriad-RF is effectively based around Lime's LMS6002D
> digital-to-RF transceiver. This chip, used in small cell basestations and
> suitable to support all cellular wireless standards, includes integrated
> ADCs DACs and low-noise amplifiers and covers the spectrum from 300-MHz to
> 3.8-GHz. Bushehri said Myriad-RF would be open to other suppliers of RF
> transceivers if they could meet the objectives of furthering
> software-defined radio and field-programmable RF (FPRF) over a similar
> frequency range.
>
> http://www.eetimes.com/design/microwave-rf-design/4408479/Lime-forms-open-source-soft-radio-initiative?cid=Newsletter+-+EETimes+Daily
> http://myriadrf.org/
>
> The $300 assembled board (not bad, considering the usual cost of PCB
> reference designs), along with the option to fab the board yourself using
> their KiCad files, looks pretty neat.  For talking to the outside (digital)
> world, the board looks to have an SPI and an 80pin header.
>
> Indeed, this looks like it isn't the only low-cost board targeted at
> software-defined radio, based on the LMS6002D.  The one below includes an
> FPGA and USB 3.0.
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1085541682/bladerf-usb-30-software-defined-radio
>

> --
> Ben West