[Commotion-dev] my failed deploy report

Sean McIntyre boxysean at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 01:43:24 UTC 2013

Hey list,

I went out yesterday to set up some NanoStation M2's but overall failed
wholly. Wanted to report back on the experience for everybody's benefit.
I'm interested to hear if I did anything wrong so I can adjust my
techniques for next time.

A major usability field ops feature I would love is the NanoStation M2
reset button to do a "manufacturer reset" on the firmware. That would have
saved me some headaches. Let me know if it actually does that and I'm doing
it wrong. (Also let me know if I just volunteered to implement this. ;))

Okay, here we go:

Router #1 issue: Could not log in to web interface / unknown password

Version: "Powered by LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn8676) CommotionWRT Pre-Release
PR3"

It could be a case of forgetfulness, but I became unable access this router
via the web interface. The password prompt always failed, despite trying
every password I know. ;)

So time to reset! But holding the master reset button (powered on) doesn't
seem to have any effect, the configuration doesn't wipe / allow me to set a
new password. I reflashed it.

This one has been left outdoors for the last month.

Luckily I brought a second router with me, so I swapped the device, but...

Router #2 issue: Adding bridge interface between mesh and LAN interfaces
made device inaccessible over LAN interface

Version (same): "Powered by LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn8676) CommotionWRT
Pre-Release PR3"

This could also be operator error, but here's the scenario:

1. Nanostation M2 (call it "A") setup with stock Commotion on my roof
2. Nanostation M2 (call it "B") setup with stock Commotion on target roof
3. Station A was connected to my home router with an Internet uplink
4. Station B was successfully connected to Internet from Station A via the
mesh interface, and its LAN port was connected to an Ethernet hub (not
router)
5. My computer (OS X) was connected to the Ethernet hub via Ethernet cable
and could access the LAN interface (192.168.1.x). Set up a default route on
my computer to send upstream packets to Station B, but the default setup
didn't pass packets from my laptop, through the hub, through Station B, to
Station A (and to the Internet)

My next move was to set up a new bridge interface over Station B's LAN
interface and mesh interface in hopes this would pass along the packets.
Saved, waited, and could no longer connect to Station B's LAN interface.

Tried to reset device with reset button and revert back to original config,
but like before, this did not reset the configuration.

Had to give up, came home with the device and saw that the device was
accessible over the WiFi interface and successfully logged in. So that
makes me think that it could be my error, would love to know if so.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing back!

Thanks,

Sean