[Commotion-dev] my failed deploy report

seamus tuohy s2e at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Feb 22 16:39:36 UTC 2013

Hi Sean,

see comments in-line below.

On 02/16/13 20:43, Sean McIntyre wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I went out yesterday to set up some NanoStation M2's but overall
> failed wholly. Wanted to report back on the experience for everybody's
> benefit. I'm interested to hear if I did anything wrong so I can
> adjust my techniques for next time.
>
> A major usability field ops feature I would love is the NanoStation M2
> reset button to do a "manufacturer reset" on the firmware. That would
> have saved me some headaches. Let me know if it actually does that and
> I'm doing it wrong. (Also let me know if I just volunteered to
> implement this. ;))

So would we, this is on the hardware level and sadly out of our code
range. OpenWRT has a hard reset into the default OpenWRT, but until you
have loaded OpenWRT this functionality is not baked into the router.

> Okay, here we go:
>
> Router #1 issue: Could not log in to web interface / unknown password

The OpenWRT initial flash does not have a password. Did you try logging
in without entering a password? That is the only way to get past that
interface before you have set a password. You can also set the password
by logging in over telnet.

> Version: "Powered by LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn8676) CommotionWRT
> Pre-Release PR3"
>
> It could be a case of forgetfulness, but I became unable access this
> router via the web interface. The password prompt always failed,
> despite trying every password I know. ;)
>
> So time to reset! But holding the master reset button (powered on)
> doesn't seem to have any effect, the configuration doesn't wipe /
> allow me to set a new password. I reflashed it.

The reset button simply re-boots a router. It can also be used to put
the router into tftp mode or with the right combination into the default
OpenWRT image. You will have to look at the openwrt site for the
instructions for various routers.

> This one has been left outdoors for the last month.
>
> Luckily I brought a second router with me, so I swapped the device, but...
>
> Router #2 issue: Adding bridge interface between mesh and LAN
> interfaces made device inaccessible over LAN interface
>
> Version (same): "Powered by LuCI Trunk (trunk+svn8676) CommotionWRT
> Pre-Release PR3"
>
> This could also be operator error, but here's the scenario:
>
> 1. Nanostation M2 (call it "A") setup with stock Commotion on my roof
> 2. Nanostation M2 (call it "B") setup with stock Commotion on target roof
> 3. Station A was connected to my home router with an Internet uplink
> 4. Station B was successfully connected to Internet from Station A via
> the mesh interface, and its LAN port was connected to an Ethernet hub
> (not router)
> 5. My computer (OS X) was connected to the Ethernet hub via Ethernet
> cable and could access the LAN interface (192.168.1.x). Set up a
> default route on my computer to send upstream packets to Station B,
> but the default setup didn't pass packets from my laptop, through the
> hub, through Station B, to Station A (and to the Internet)
>
> My next move was to set up a new bridge interface over Station B's LAN
> interface and mesh interface in hopes this would pass along the
> packets. Saved, waited, and could no longer connect to Station B's LAN
> interface.
>
> Tried to reset device with reset button and revert back to original
> config, but like before, this did not reset the configuration.
>
> Had to give up, came home with the device and saw that the device was
> accessible over the WiFi interface and successfully logged in. So that
> makes me think that it could be my error, would love to know if so.

Will is going to send you another e-mail with some questions on this
specific setup in a few minutes.