[Commotion-dev] my failed deploy report

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Feb 22 16:52:29 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Quick notes about putting the Nanosation M2 into tftp (aka recovery mode),
and about bridging the adhoc mesh with a wired LAN, below in green.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM, seamus tuohy <s2e at opentechinstitute.org>wrote:

> It could be a case of forgetfulness, but I became unable access this
> router via the web interface. The password prompt always failed, despite
> trying every password I know. ;)
>
>  So time to reset! But holding the master reset button (powered on)
> doesn't seem to have any effect, the configuration doesn't wipe / allow me
> to set a new password. I reflashed it.
>

> The reset button simply re-boots a router. It can also be used to put the
> router into tftp mode or with the right combination into the default
> OpenWRT image. You will have to look at the openwrt site for the
> instructions for various routers.

To my knowledge, it isn't possible to put a UBNT unit into recovery mode
via the firmware, or at least not via 3rd party firmware.  The best you can
do (besides holding down the reset button manually on power-up), is to use
the larger 1Amp POE adapter that comes with an out-board reset button.
I.e. so that you can put the unit into recovery mode after it has been
mounted at the inconvenient end of a 100m long cable.

>   This one has been left outdoors for the last month.
>
>  Luckily I brought a second router with me, so I swapped the device,
> but...
>
>  Router #2 issue: Adding bridge interface between mesh and LAN interfaces
> made device inaccessible over LAN interface
>
> Do be aware that 'bridging' different interfaces in the traditional sense
is not possible under OpenWRT between an adhoc radio and a wired LAN.  This
is an intentional limitation of OpenWRT, although Attitude Adjustment now
includes the 'trelay' package, which could be used to build virtual bridges.

Besides, I think you're referring not to bridging but adjusting firewall
setting so that new incoming connections from the adhoc mesh can reach
devices on a the Nanostation's local LAN.  Allowing all such connections
could definitely be a security concern, so adding means to selectively
whitelist which LAN clients have this connectivity is ideal.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net