[Commotion-dev] commotion mesh applet - first test package

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Mar 1 03:37:31 UTC 2013

Hi Hans,

Sorry for lurking, but I've been fiddling with your brand spanking new
commotion-mesh-applet.  Seems the version just published to launchpad a few
hours ago won't load.

Launching the applet manually at the command line produces an error about a
missing module commotion_mesh_support.  The version of the applet
immediately preceding would at least load the indicator icon into the panel.

P.S. Great work!

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <
hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:

> Ok, I found an approach that is working on GNOME 3, GNOME 3 Classic,
> Cinnamon,
> and MATE.  Those are the environments I have easy access too.  I'll test on
> Unity tomorrow, it should work there too.  It should also work on KDE and
> GNOME2, if anyone can test there.  I've posted the builds now, Launchpad
> tells
> me they'll be built in 45 minutes.
>
> See below for instructions on getting the packages:
>
> .hc
>
> On 02/26/2013 11:01 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> > Wow, building a panel applet is quite a project these days because there
> is a
> > different API for each environment: GNOME2, GNOME3, MATE, Xfce,
> Cinnamon, KDE,
> > OpenBox, etc.
> >
> > I have this applet working well on my MATE laptop, but not yet working on
> > GNOME3.  It should work on GNOME2 (i.e. Debian squeeze), and my guess is
> Xfce
> > will not be much work.  I don't know about Cinnamon, KDE, OpenBox,
> whatever
> > else...  patches welcome!
> >
> > Here is the code:
> > https://github.com/eighthave/commotion-mesh-applet
> >
> > And here are the Ubuntu packages:
> > https://launchpad.net/~guardianproject/+archive/commotion/+packages
> >
> > Or:
> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:guardianproject/commotion
> >   (fingerprint: F50E ADDD 2234 F563)
> > sudo apt-get install commotion-mesh-applet
> >
> > .hc

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net