[Commotion-dev] Can't talk between desktop OLSRd and Commotion OpenWRT boxes

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Wed Mar 6 16:58:04 UTC 2013

I believe this was the same problem I encountered last week when briefly
testing the Ubuntu commotion-mesh-applet package and a Nanostation M2
running Commotion-OpenWRT PR3-ish.

I didn't have a change to diagnose problem, but my suspicion is
incompatible OLSR config on either side, in particular ...

- Incorrect or missing olsrd_secure key?
- OLSR smart_gateway feature not working as intended?  (Perhaps try
disabling it.)

If you can disable olsrd and have the nodes route to each other manually
(as I could), then that would indicate olsrd config issues.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Mikael Nordfeldth <mmn at hethane.se> wrote:

>  I would suggest though trying the same
>> version of olsrd on the devices and see if that helps. We have a fork of
>> the latest release of olsrd you could try building and running on the
>> devices: https://github.com/**opentechinstitute/olsrd<https://github.com/opentechinstitute/olsrd>
>> .
>>
>> Another thing I would suggest is doing a packet capture on the devices
>> and look for the HELLO messages, to see if the devices are announcing
>> themselves properly.
>>

> I noticed now that the log (output from olsrd rather than the txtinfo
> plugin) reported "sendto(v4): Invalid argument" occasionally.
> (and packet capturing shows no packages are sent _from_ my wlan interface
> by olsrd - keeping in mind that routing works and I can do ssh etc.)
>
> I'll try compiling a new olsrd on my desktop and play around a bit more.
> Thanks for your input!
>

> --
> Mikael Nordfeldth
> http://blog.mmn-o.se/