[Commotion-dev] Commotion Android on Nexus 7?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Wed Jan 22 23:09:22 UTC 2014

On 01/20/2014 06:35 PM, Will Hawkins wrote:
> Hey Hans!
>
> On Monday, January 20, 2014 16:55 EST, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at guardianproject.info> wrote:
>

>> Is there a version that uses the normal OLSR port for devices with root
>> access?  It seems a safe assumption that any device running CM has root.
>
> We do not have a pre-baked build that has olsrd running on the default port. It's definitely not hard to make, though. Would that help with the upcoming NYC mesh workshop?
>
> You are absolutely correct about the assumption that CM installation goes hand-in-hand with having a rooted device. However, we are building it with the expectation that this version of the Commotion app will run on non-rooted, non-CM devices when AOSP adopts the CM ad-hoc patches, etc. So, while currently we are making a distinction where there is no difference, we think that in the future we are going to be positioned for SUCCESS :-)
>
> Does that make sense?
> Will

Makes sense. The idea situation would be one version of the app that has the
non-root port on always, then optionally, enable the standard port if the user
has root access. But an version of the app that only works with root on the
standard port would be useful in place of that ideal.

It does seem key to have some nodes that bridge the two meshes (standard port
and non-root port) so that those two meshes are likely to be connected.  So it
would be a worthwhile effort anyway, IMHO.

.hc