[Commotion-dev] 2-port Ubiquiti NanoStations

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Feb 5 12:50:26 EST 2015

Yes, powering a Nanostation via its secondary POE port is indeed possible,
and yes, the filtering/surge suppression characteristics are diminished
when you do so.  I had to do exactly that when a Nano burned out its
primary LAN port (bad cabling), and I was being lazy about springing for a
complete replacement (didn't need the secondary LAN port anyway).  In that
instance, the Nano had an address only configured for its eth1 interface,
eth0 ignored, and the eth1 address was the one I used to talk to the radio.

Also, enabling POE pass-through when the Nano is receiving power via its
secondary LAN port might cause bad things to happen.  That is, you'd be
dumping 24VDC into the drain of the FET that toggles slave power, which
could burn out the FET and eliminate that Nano's ability to properly toggle
pass-through POE.  (Or just brick it.)  The POE pass-through on Nanos has
always been a rather fragile feature, not very tolerant of cabling mixups.