[Commotion-discuss] OLSR Gateway detection

Aidan Roberts aidanr67 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:48:05 EDT 2015

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the routing table. For now I have
a script running in the background every couple of minutes pinging a
DNS server and overwriting the olsrd file based on the result. I'll
loose any changes I make to the olsrd in the commotion interface but I
can live with that for now. I also found /usr/sbin/ff_olsrd_test_gw.sh
which is helpful in understanding the gateway test.

Regards,
Aidan

On 11/06/2015 12:51, Dan Staples wrote:
> Commotion uses the dyn_gw_plain plugin, which doesn't reach out to
> any particular server on the internet; it only checks for a default
> route with a metric of 0 in your routing table, and uses that to
> set the HNA.
>
> So one thing to check for is what your node's routing table looks
> like when the upstream router's whitelist is turned on.
>
> best, Dan
>
> On 06/10/2015 02:07 AM, Aidan Roberts wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a gateway node connected to a router with a whitelist of
>> URL's set up on it. The problem that I'm experiencing is that the
>> node does not pick up as a gateway when the whitelist is enabled.
>> When I disable the whitelist (allow all traffic traffic) the node
>> picks up as a gateway and all other nodes route internet bound
>> traffic through is as expected.
>>
>> I've tried disabling the gateway detection plugin and adding a
>> HNA for 0.0.0.0/0 so the node always picks up as a gateway but
>> this is not really what I want.
>>
>> Is there a specific URL or IP that I can allow on my whitelist
>> that the node will detect as an Internet connection? Or is there
>> another way around this problem?
>>
>> Regards, Aidan

- --
Aidan Roberts