[CMI-CM] flyering update

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 28 16:13:02 CDT 2001

I, too, have been flyering, mostly in academic bldgs and around the East
side of campus.  I will continue tomorrow, perhaps some tagging.

On the issue of some bicyclists thinking our tactics are just an annoyance:
I'm not sure they can be placated, and I don't think the speed of the mass
makes any difference.  I think the same drivers would be annoyed  at 10 or
even 20 mph.  The tactic of CM is fundamentally confrontational and I don't
think that can change.  I also understand and respect that there are
bicyclists who don't want to be confrontational or who don't think that
it's useful--I don't think it's useful to try and placate them  either.

In the end, either there are enough bicyclists out there who want to
participate in this type of demonstration or there aren't.  Publicity is
key to reaching those cyclists, and I personally have put a fair amount of
time into that element myself (though it takes more than just me and Arun,
too).  But if that doesn't result in a good size ride, I'm willing to face
the fact that maybe there aren't enough folks who want a CM here.

--Paul