[C-U Smokefree] DeWine-Kennedy FDA amendment passes

Kathy Drea kdrea at lungil.org
Fri Jul 16 10:10:00 CDT 2004

Hi everyone!  Thanks for all your calls to Sen. Fitzgerald yesterday.
Strangely enough - after his staff said he was supporting the amendment,
he voted NO.

Please see message from our National office below with more information.
Thanks again, Kathy

Thank you once again for your tremendous efforts to contact your
Senators to support the DeWine/Kennedy FDA amendment on the House FSC
bill.

The amendment passed 78 to 15. The vote can be found at
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_108_2.ht
m.

Please send a message to your Senator thanking them for their vote.
Attached is our joint press release on the vote.

The next steps are critical. The bill will now go to a Senate/House
conference committee. There is a danger that our opponents will attempt
to weaken the FDA provisions during the conference committee, so we will
continue to need your assistance to make sure that the FDA bill remains
strong.   This is real fear because of the number of Senators from
tobacco growing states for example Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) and Sen.
George Allen (R-VA) made statements that they planned to try to weaken
the FDA provisions during the conference.

In the meantime, we have won another important victory and we should
celebrate.

We will be in touch soon with our strategy and next steps including a
list of members that will be on the conference committee.

Cassandra Welch
Director, National Advocacy
American Lung Association
1150 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
cwelch at lungusadc.org
202/785-3355 (w)
202/452-1805 (f)
202/494-8513 (c)

Kathy Drea, Director, Public Policy

American Lung Association of Illinois-Iowa

3000 Kelly Lane

Springfield, IL  62711

1-800-788-5864

FAX:  (217) 787-5916