[C-U Smokefree] Re: CU-Smokefree Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

Theotskl at aol.com Theotskl at aol.com
Thu Nov 4 14:29:04 CST 2004

This is fantastic news, Kathy.
Thanks so very much for sharing.

Theo Tsoukalas, Ph.D.

PS. Joe Cherner's website contains a list of smokefree election related
activities. I will try to paste them below. Thanks.

There is mostly good news on smokefree ballot issues.  In particular, voters
in Columbus (OH), the nation's 14th largest city, upheld the City Council's
smokefree workplace law passed earlier this year.  Here are all of the
unofficial smokefree ballot results (wins are in red below)...  Joe

Local Ballot IssuesLincoln NE - Vote YES.  On November 2nd, voters will
determine the fate of a proposed smokefree workplace law for ALL workers, including
restaurant and bar workers.  The law was originally passed by the
legislature, but tobacco interests gathered signatures to challenge it and put it before
the voters. (We won 62% to 38%)Copperas Cove TX - Vote YES.  On November 2nd,
voters will determine the fate of a proposed smokefree workplace law for ALL
workers, including restaurant and bar workers.  The law was originally passed
by the legislature, but tobacco interests gathered signatures to challenge it
and put it before the voters.  (We won 61% to 39%)Winooski VT - Vote YES.
Voters are being asked to affirm the city council's decision to make bars
smokefree.  Restaurants have been smokefree for many years.  (We won 64% to 36%)Wauson
OH- Vote YES.  Wauseon's ballot initiative would provide a smokefree
workplace for most workers.  Last year, the same initiative failed by 12 votes.
Hopefully, we can do better this year.  (We won by 140 votes)Columbus OH - Vote YES
.  On November 2nd, voters will determine the fate of a proposed smokefree
workplace law for ALL workers, including restaurant and bar workers.  The law was
originally passed by the legislature, but tobacco interests gathered
signatures to challenge it and put it on the ballot.  (We won 55% to 45%)Toledo OH -
Vote NO.  Tobacco interests are trying to repeal Toledo's smokefree workplace
law passed in 2003.  Vote NO to keep Toledo's current smokefree workplace law.
 (We lost 49% to 51%)Wausau WI - Vote YES.   Wausau voters will vote on an
advisory referendum that would make restaurants smokefree.  The legislature will
likely codify the results with a law.  (We won 58% to 42%)Duluth MN - Vote
YES. The smokefree workplace referendum approved by council members on September
16 would give all workers a safe, healthy smokefree workplace.  Restaurants
are currently smokefree.  So the referendum is mostly about bars and
nightclubs.  Tobacco smoke is not just toxic in restaurants.  It's toxic in all
workplaces. (We lost 46% to 54%)Fargo ND - Voters in Fargo will have three smokefree
workplace proposals to vote on when they go to the polls on November 2nd.
The first option is for smokefree workplace legislation except for workers in
restaurants and bars.
The second option is for smokefree workplace legislation except for workers
in businesses that ban customers less than 21 years of age.
The third option is for smokefree workplace legislation for ALL workers.  (We
won 55% to 45%)West Fargo ND - Voters in West Fargo will have two smokefree
workplace voting options when they go to the polls on November 2nd.
The first option is for smokefree workplace legislation except for workers in
businesses that ban customers less than 21 years of age.
The second option is for smokefree workplace legislation for ALL workers.  (
We won 58% to 42%)State Ballot Issues (Cigarette Excise Tax)  (We won all)
Colorado - Amendment 35 - Vote YES.  Tobacco Tax Increase for Health-Related
Purposes. The amendment would raise the cigarette tax by 64 cents per pack up
to 84 cents per pack beginning 1/1/05.  Colorado's cigarette tax is currently
one of the lowest in the nation.  (We won 53% to 47%)
Montana - Initiative 149 - Vote YES.  The 2004 Healthy Kids, Healthy Montana
Tobacco Tax Increase Act. The initiative would raise the cigarette tax by $1
per pack up to $1.70 per pack.  (We won 63% to 37%)
Oklahoma - Question 713 - Vote YES.  The tobacco Tax Health Initiative would
raise Oklahoma's cigarette tax by 55 cents per pack.  (We won 61% to 39%)